Old 03-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Question about Sycamore Trees...

Im talking about the tree with the seeds that spiral to the ground, I always
thought they were called Sycamore,

The most common trees with "seeds that spiral to the ground" are maples. The
fruit of the maple (the seed and its wing) is called a samara. If you ran
across a tree with that type of fruit that was called a sycamore, it is
probably the sycamore maple, Acer pseudoplatanus. You will have to do a search
on that name to find out if it is found in Russia. There are many other maple
species that grow in that part of the world.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)