Old 02-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Amy Mason

Default Question about Sycamore Trees...

Hello All,

Does anyone know if Sycamore trees grow in Russia? For example in the region
between Stalingrad (volgograd now) and the Caucus oil fields?

Thanks

Amy

Old 03-04-2003, 07:32 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Surely there are both Acer and Platanus species there
PvR

Amy Mason schreef

Old 03-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Iris Cohen

Does anyone know if Sycamore trees grow in Russia? For example in the region
between Stalingrad (volgograd now) and the Caucasus oil fields?

It will help if you know the correct botanical name. do you mean Platanus
orientalis, Acer pseudoplatanus, or what?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 03-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Amy Mason

Im not a botanist by trade, so Im a little unsure. Im talking about the tree
with the seeds that spiral to the ground, I always thought they were called
Sycamore, but dont know the species...

Thanks for any help
Amy

Old 03-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Monique Reed

That would be a species of maple, Acer. Some species have the common
name of Syacamore.

M. Reed

Old 03-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Iris Cohen

Im talking about the tree with the seeds that spiral to the ground, I always
thought they were called Sycamore,

The most common trees with "seeds that spiral to the ground" are maples. The
fruit of the maple (the seed and its wing) is called a samara. If you ran
across a tree with that type of fruit that was called a sycamore, it is
probably the sycamore maple, Acer pseudoplatanus. You will have to do a search
on that name to find out if it is found in Russia. There are many other maple
species that grow in that part of the world.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Iris Cohen
writes
You will have to do a search
on that name to find out if it is found in Russia. There are many other maple
species that grow in that part of the world.

Flora Europaea has Acer pseudoplatanus present in west and central
Russia. I assume that that doesn't include the area north of the
Caucasus, but I don't have the definition of their Russian regions to
hand.

URL:http://rbg-web2.rbge.org.uk/cgi-bin/...feout?FAMILY_X
REF=&GENUS_XREF=Acer&SPECIES_XREF=pseudoplatanus&T AXON_NAME_XREF=&RANK=
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

sycamore trees shazzbat United Kingdom 5 25-09-2003 01:02 PM
sycamore trees shazzbat United Kingdom 0 23-09-2003 12:06 AM
Sycamore trees in midwest? Brigg222 Gardening 5 30-05-2003 06:08 PM
Sycamore Trees mks5959 Lawns 4 16-05-2003 10:56 PM
Question about Sycamore Trees... Amy Mason Plant Science 4 26-04-2003 01:31 PM