Old 28-09-2007, 10:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
Scott Harper Scott Harper is offline

Default Black Spots Turning Live Oak Leaves Brown

In article . com, wrote:
Hi Scott,
I live in the same city as you based on your email address. I have
exactly the same black leaf spot on my leaves as you. I am curious if
you called the County Extension office to have an arborist ID your
black spots as Morenoella quercina? The Department of Plant Pathology
& Microbiology at Texas A & M University calls it Tar Spot (layman
for Morenoella quercina) at
http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/Trees/tree4.html
(see the last paragraph). The advice is the same as Dave's below, to
prune low hanging branches to improve circulation. After reading that
I noticed that only the lower leaves were affected, not the upper
leaves. None of my neighbors have the black spots on their Live Oak
leaves.

I was hoping to find more on it from the Florida Division of Forestry
(www.fl-dof.com), but the website is down. There is a 1987
publication on Tar Spot there and
another at www.doacs.state.fl.us, which of course is also down. grr.
Best regards,
Leanne

I didn't get a whole lot of additional information other than what was
in this thread... However, the browning leaves seemed to disappear
about as quickly as they appeared. There doesn't seem to be any
permanent damage.

scott
(cedar park, tx)