Old 17-08-2007, 12:59 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Black Spots Turning Live Oak Leaves Brown

With all the rain we had in the late spring/early summer, my live oaks have
gone bananas, putting on all kinds of new growth. However, with this hot
spell we got last week, all of a sudden I started noticing something strange
on a few of them.

The leaves are starting to turn brown. This seemed like it happened almost
overnight. About half the leaves on an afflicted tree are browning, but I
suspect they will all end up turning brown and falling off before it's all
said and done.

Closer inspection shows black spots on the leaves... on the green ones even
before they start turning brown. My guess is it's some kind of mold or
fungus related to the extra wet conditions. Here are a couple photos:

http://www.employees.org/~harper/leaves/P8160009.JPG
http://www.employees.org/~harper/leaves/P8160011.JPG

Is this anything to be concerned about? If so, is there anything that can be
done to stop it?

On a related note, I have a few end tips of branches that are turning brown as
well. But they don't have the black spots on them. When you look at them,
the branch looks like it has been damaged, enough so to kill it off. It
almost looks to me like it got so much water that it grew to fast and ruptured
itself. I suppose it could be birds or squirrels doing the damage though.
These are few and far between, so I'm not too concerned about them... mostly
just curious. Here's a picture of one of these:

http://www.employees.org/~harper/leaves/P8160012.JPG

scott
Old 17-08-2007, 03:21 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Scott Harper" wrote in message
io.net...
[...]

Its not just your live oaks, its most in Texas area doing the banana thing
with branching and leaf growth.

Your guess is right on. Its a fungus, Morenoella quercina. And, as you
guessed, is due to too much long term rain.

If its widespread and there's neighboring oaks with same problem not on your
property, you probably have to let it run its course. Can be treated with
general fungicide if localized. Improve air circulation by pruning. Keep
the dead leaves picked up, and burn em.

The branch problem that I perceive on the upper canopy is what I believe to
be oak decline. If you're in a new home, could be root injury as one cause.
Oak decline is a sign of a stressed tree. More common in drought
conditions. Cut the dead limbs off the tree.

No, I don't claim to be an arborist.
Dave

Old 18-08-2007, 08:19 PM posted to austin.gardening

Scott Harper wrote:
[...]

check this out

http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=1540
Old 19-08-2007, 04:55 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article , wrote:
check this out

http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=1540

That's encouraging to hear, and is about what I suspected... however, none of
the specific diseases he references (from the pictures in the link to his
article) are what I'm seeing. I am pretty sure it's not oak wilt though...

scott
Old 19-08-2007, 07:10 PM posted to austin.gardening

Scott Harper wrote:
In article , wrote:

check this out

http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=1540

That's encouraging to hear, and is about what I suspected... however, none of
the specific diseases he references (from the pictures in the link to his
article) are what I'm seeing. I am pretty sure it's not oak wilt though...

scott

Every time we had a bunch of summer rain there are numerous posts about
oak branch tips browning out and littering the yard. The article's
comment about only and inch or two of twig/branch being affected seemed
too conservative from my observations. I'm seeing it on my backyard live
oaks and some places it's several inches. Since we've lived here for +20
years and have seen this about 4-5 times without any permanent tree
damage I'm not losing any sleep over it.

My main complaint to it is the darn things pretty much end up in my pool :-(

Your question did help out my neighbor. They've had an oak suffering
from actinopelte dpp for years and when I saw the pics in that article
it was woohoo!

Old 27-09-2007, 06:58 PM posted to austin.gardening

Hi Scott,
I live in the same city as you based on your email address. I have
exactly the same black leaf spot on my leaves as you. I am curious if
you called the County Extension office to have an arborist ID your
black spots as Morenoella quercina? The Department of Plant Pathology
& Microbiology at Texas A & M University calls it Tar Spot (layman
for Morenoella quercina) at http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/Trees/tree4.html
(see the last paragraph). The advice is the same as Dave's below, to
prune low hanging branches to improve circulation. After reading that
I noticed that only the lower leaves were affected, not the upper
leaves. None of my neighbors have the black spots on their Live Oak
leaves.

I was hoping to find more on it from the Florida Division of Forestry
(www.fl-dof.com), but the website is down. There is a 1987
publication on Tar Spot there and
another at www.doacs.state.fl.us, which of course is also down. grr.
Best regards,
Leanne

Old 28-09-2007, 10:48 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article . com, wrote:
[...]

I didn't get a whole lot of additional information other than what was
in this thread... However, the browning leaves seemed to disappear
about as quickly as they appeared. There doesn't seem to be any
permanent damage.

scott
(cedar park, tx)