Old 03-04-2003, 09:45 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Advice please for balcony plants.

In article ,
Jim wrote:

thanks for all your help and advice. I have one more question about
the 'Buxus sempervirens' (they do seem to be what I was thinking of):
the crocus site states that they need partial shade. Wind problems
aside (I can secure the pot if I think necessary), I am planning to
put these on a London south-facing balcony. Some would say that that
is partial shade enough, but do you think they would survive
south-facing?

Eh? I can assure you that box does NOT need partial shade, at least
not in this gloomy country! My Sunset (USA) book confirms that the
recommendation for partial shade is for the hot summer areas of the
USA, where the sun is a LOT less anaemic than here! But, even then,
it doesn't mind the sun as such, and the problem is that it dislikes
its roots getting hot and dry.

For a south facing balcony, bay (Laurus nobilis) is a bit safer, on
the grounds that it doesn't mind its roots getting hot and dry as
much. Don't let it dessicate, but otherwise it is fine.

Ivy would be fine for the climber. Can you suggest any ivy variants
that look nice (maybe variegated leaves or interesting colour...) ?
Also, can you buy mature ivy?

You really don't want to bother. Give it some reasonable conditions,
and it will ramp away.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.