Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ted Mittelstaedt Ted Mittelstaedt is offline

Default Landscape Gardening: Where To Begin

Charlie wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:41:09 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
wrote:

"trav" wrote in message
ups.com...
The key to increasing the naturalness of your garden lies in the
landscaping. My father was a gardener and I well remember his
"sunker", a walk-through garden area with a Japanese flavor that
transformed an overgrown, low lying and rather swampy area into a
striking showcase of natural beauty.

"low lying and rather swampy?"

Sorry you are so bigoted. I enjoy natural swamps. Sometimes better
than an artifically created "Japanese" garden that's not within 1000

miles
of the actual Japan.

Also, they aren't referred to as "swamps" They are referred to as
"wetlands"

Ted

Bigoted????

One other thing, if "swamps" are referred to as "wetlands", why do you
enjoy natural "swamps" and not "wetlands"?

Since you didn't use the term "wetland" I made sure to use "swamp" -
which was your term - so it would be crystal clear to you what I was
talking about.

I see you missed the point entirely.

My point, which I'll explain again,
is that a natural area may look "overgrown" but in reality it is
functioning as nature intended. Nature doesen't always make up
landscapes the way some of us humans want them to look.

If you had said your dad transformed a "choked with non-native
invasive weed species, low lying and polluted with fertillizer runoff
and sprinkled with used tires swampy area" into a striking showcase
of natural beauty, that would have been something entirely different.

You didn't say that, though. But you implied that "Japanese flavor...
natural beauty" was preferable to "overgrown swamp". In short,
it looks better because someone changed it, because, of course,
their idea of changes is superior to what nature had been doing.

Read your words again: "...The key to increasing the naturalness
of your garden....garden area with a Japanese flavor..."

If you really wanted to increase the "naturalness" of a garden
you would make it as close to a native-species area as possible.
That means, it would NOT have a Japanese flavor unless, of
course, it was in Japan.

The fact you reacted to my post indicates that your not beyond all
hope - you do know there is a truth somewhere in what I said -
and it bothered you.

Ted