Old 30-09-2007, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Landscape Gardening: Where To Begin

The key to increasing the naturalness of your garden lies in the
landscaping. My father was a gardener and I well remember his
"sunker", a walk-through garden area with a Japanese flavor that
transformed an overgrown, low lying and rather swampy area into a
striking showcase of natural beauty.
( continued at http://garden.siteburg.com/ )

Old 30-09-2007, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"trav" wrote in message
ps.com...
The key to increasing the naturalness of your garden lies in the
landscaping. My father was a gardener and I well remember his
"sunker", a walk-through garden area with a Japanese flavor that
transformed an overgrown, low lying and rather swampy area into a
striking showcase of natural beauty.

"low lying and rather swampy?"

Sorry you are so bigoted. I enjoy natural swamps. Sometimes better
than an artifically created "Japanese" garden that's not within 1000 miles
of the actual Japan.

Also, they aren't referred to as "swamps" They are referred to as
"wetlands"

Ted

Old 30-09-2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:41:09 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
wrote:

"trav" wrote in message
ups.com...
The key to increasing the naturalness of your garden lies in the
landscaping. My father was a gardener and I well remember his
"sunker", a walk-through garden area with a Japanese flavor that
transformed an overgrown, low lying and rather swampy area into a
striking showcase of natural beauty.

"low lying and rather swampy?"

Sorry you are so bigoted. I enjoy natural swamps. Sometimes better
than an artifically created "Japanese" garden that's not within 1000 miles
of the actual Japan.

Also, they aren't referred to as "swamps" They are referred to as
"wetlands"

Ted

Bigoted????

One other thing, if "swamps" are referred to as "wetlands", why do you
enjoy natural "swamps" and not "wetlands"?

IR CornFused again
Charlie

Ted's post annoyed me too. I guess low lying equates to elevation
challenged and swampy to moist, warm and wet but I digress.

Bill who tries to garden in a Japanese manner. Think Mind.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 30-09-2007, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

trav wrote:
The key to increasing the naturalness of your garden lies in the
landscaping.

BWAHAHAH!! Oxymorons rule!

My father was a gardener and I well remember his
"sunker", a walk-through garden area with a Japanese flavor that
transformed an overgrown, low lying and rather swampy area into a
striking showcase of natural beauty.

Low-lying swampy areas have their own beauty and function, all of it
understandable if you know what you're looking at.

( continued at http://garden.siteburg.com/ )

Make me!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:33:14 -0400, William Wagner
wrote:

Ted's post annoyed me too. I guess low lying equates to elevation
challenged and swampy to moist, warm and wet but I digress.

:-)

Bill who tries to garden in a Japanese manner. Think Mind.

I think your mind and my mind sometimes operate on similar wave
patterns or sumpthin'! Maybe we're both "Still Crazy After All These
Years".

It's often about the music,
Charlie, pullin' up CCR........"Born on the Bayou" and off and running
on a CCR tour! :-)

Glitter In Their Eyes 3:05 Patti Smith Land (1975-2002) (Disc 1)
Alternative & Punk 100 3 8/6/07 9:50 PM

Patti Smith From Pitman NJ. 10 miles from here.

My claim to fame.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:41:09 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
wrote:

"trav" wrote in message
ups.com...
The key to increasing the naturalness of your garden lies in the
landscaping. My father was a gardener and I well remember his
"sunker", a walk-through garden area with a Japanese flavor that
transformed an overgrown, low lying and rather swampy area into a
striking showcase of natural beauty.

"low lying and rather swampy?"

Sorry you are so bigoted. I enjoy natural swamps. Sometimes better
than an artifically created "Japanese" garden that's not within 1000

miles
of the actual Japan.

Also, they aren't referred to as "swamps" They are referred to as
"wetlands"

Ted

Bigoted????

One other thing, if "swamps" are referred to as "wetlands", why do you
enjoy natural "swamps" and not "wetlands"?

Since you didn't use the term "wetland" I made sure to use "swamp" -
which was your term - so it would be crystal clear to you what I was
talking about.

I see you missed the point entirely.

My point, which I'll explain again,
is that a natural area may look "overgrown" but in reality it is
functioning as nature intended. Nature doesen't always make up
landscapes the way some of us humans want them to look.

If you had said your dad transformed a "choked with non-native
invasive weed species, low lying and polluted with fertillizer runoff
and sprinkled with used tires swampy area" into a striking showcase
of natural beauty, that would have been something entirely different.

You didn't say that, though. But you implied that "Japanese flavor...
natural beauty" was preferable to "overgrown swamp". In short,
it looks better because someone changed it, because, of course,
their idea of changes is superior to what nature had been doing.

Read your words again: "...The key to increasing the naturalness
of your garden....garden area with a Japanese flavor..."

If you really wanted to increase the "naturalness" of a garden
you would make it as close to a native-species area as possible.
That means, it would NOT have a Japanese flavor unless, of
course, it was in Japan.

The fact you reacted to my post indicates that your not beyond all
hope - you do know there is a truth somewhere in what I said -
and it bothered you.

Ted

Old 01-10-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

My father was a gardener and I well remember his "sunker", a
walk-through garden area with a Japanese flavor that transformed an
overgrown, low lying and rather swampy area into a striking showcase
of natural beauty.

Well, we don't have before and after pictures, so it is hard to say
what made the area less "swampy" after the work was done, or what made
it overgrown beforehand.

But in my own garden I always think of a wet area as an opportunity to
plant water-loving plants (in my case mostly natives). Well, or to
leave it alone, perhaps, if it is in good shape. But here in
suburbia, an overgrown area is more often overgrown with invasives
(and not very attractive ones, at that) than with anything native (at
least, that was the case with our lot when we moved in). Whether you
are aiming for some approximation of a habitat restoration, or whether
you want a more landscaped look, there are plenty of water-loving
plants to choose from.

If your yard has a basin or an area which floods, don't think
"problem"; think "opportunity"!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote in
:

If you really wanted to increase the "naturalness" of a
garden you would make it as close to a native-species area
as possible. That means, it would NOT have a Japanese
flavor unless, of course, it was in Japan.

that's untrue. one can easily make a "Japanese style" (or
flavor, if you prefer) garden area using only species native
to the local area. he didn't say it was a "Japanese garden",
he said it was Japanese *style*. one can borrow a style &
adapt it to native species very easily.
if he wants a garden, he isn't going to make it look like a
weed choked swamp, now is he? he's going to clear paths, set
beds, plant trees & shrubs for 'backbone'... the Japanese do
have a knack for naturalistic gardens, along with the very
stylized Zen gardens, you know.
lee
Old 03-10-2007, 07:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"Ted Mittelstaedt" wrote in
:

If you really wanted to increase the "naturalness" of a
garden you would make it as close to a native-species area
as possible. That means, it would NOT have a Japanese
flavor unless, of course, it was in Japan.

that's untrue. one can easily make a "Japanese style" (or
flavor, if you prefer) garden area using only species native
to the local area. he didn't say it was a "Japanese garden",
he said it was Japanese *style*. one can borrow a style &
adapt it to native species very easily.

Good point. Kind of like the folks that purchase Mopeds and
wear black leather jackets with hundreds of shiny studs and
fringe, and a black helmet with a big spike up top, and a
patch on the back saying "hells angels" ;-)

Ted

Old 03-10-2007, 07:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news

If your yard has a basin or an area which floods, don't think
"problem"; think "opportunity"!

Or, think "replace the septic tank"... ;-)

Ted