Old 01-10-2007, 03:46 AM posted to aus.gardens
Flowergirl Flowergirl is offline

Default Plants of Eeeeeeevil

"Jonno" wrote in message
A steam generator and some copper pipes with delivery holes would do the
same trick, but much more efficiently, as I found a gas blowtorch only
touched the surface, but steam penetrates. Its used in hothouses to
sterilise soils.
But you have to admit it looks great using a flame thrower.
PS where do you get em?
I reckon the local chapter of Hells Angel bikies could have a field day
and I could sell em some....(grin!)

I suspect that performing the "treatment" was something that DH very much
enjoyed, so its efficiency was probably a secondary concern to the "fun" of
actually doing the job. I do know that there were no bindies in that
particular lawn for at least 6 years after the "treatment" so it did work
quite well.

Dunno where to get a flame thrower.
I suspect that the particular flame thrower in question may have been home
made.... DH is an engineer AND a farm-boy so we have a very large number of
very useful one-off devices for both the home and for the farm (but as DH
admits, they do look very "agricultural" rather than sleek and stylish).
Amanda

Flowergirl wrote:
"none" ""jules\"@(none)" wrote in message
A kettle of boiling water, dribled into the centre of the plant, worked
on mine.

LOL - a little more subtle than DH's method ....
First, remove all lawn with a shovel.
Second, use a flame-thrower and go over entire yard
Thirdly returf yard.

(Before I met him, DH was living in a share house with a few people,
including the house's owner. The yard was wall-to-wall bindies. The

owner
decided to pay to have the yard professionally returfed, but DH got

involved
in the process and included the use of the flame-thrower into the
proceedings. While it did work, its possibly a little extreme a

solution
for most people!)
Amanda