Old 01-10-2007, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Moles - to trap or not to trap

, I, Marvo, say :

[snip]

Apart from traps the only other thing I found that appeared to work
were the smoke sticks. They stopped new mole hills appearing for
about two weeks - then they came right back. I guess you could use
them to clear an area then install underground barriers but that's a
lot of work.

I think at the end of the day we have colonised the bit between the birds
and the moles.

Perhaps we just have to live with it.

I share my abode with spiders; lots of spiders. There is no point trying to
get rid, they don't bother me and I don't bother them. After a while you get
to sitting watching them spinning webs and catching flies, it's better than
most of what's on the telly.

A stiff brush will put the dirt back in the hole, the grass regrows.

Another answer may be, rather than to try to deter the moles, offer them a
better alternative. Mole bait in next doors' garden, perhaps :-)