Old 29-09-2007, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moles - to trap or not to trap

Hi everyone I live on the edge of woodland and so have many pests, such
as
slugs and snails, crawling up from the bush - but the worst by far are
the
moles

I find it very sad that gardeners are so intolerant of moles. Certainly
in England they are one of our few indigenous mammals.

We make strong objections to native peoples of other parts of the world
not tolerating the animals they live among (think elephants and farmers
in India and parts of Africa), yet we persecute and exterminate our own
more humble wildlife.

Why not just be proud to have them in our gardens?

I wouldn't mind having them, I've never understood garders' dislike of
moles.

Mary

I don't have a problem with moles, left alone they seem to wander off across
the fields and do what moles do

kate

Old 30-09-2007, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:02:34 +0100, Stan The Man
wrote:

In article , Philip Lund
wrote:

In message HvQKi.20074$nO3.19642@edtnps90, clarissa
writes
Hi everyone I live on the edge of woodland and so have many pests, such as
slugs and snails, crawling up from the bush - but the worst by far are the
moles

I find it very sad that gardeners are so intolerant of moles. Certainly
in England they are one of our few indigenous mammals.

We make strong objections to native peoples of other parts of the world
not tolerating the animals they live among (think elephants and farmers
in India and parts of Africa), yet we persecute and exterminate our own
more humble wildlife.

Why not just be proud to have them in our gardens?

My garden is surrounded by fields and I benefit from all kinds of
wildlife, including resident rabbits which eat my plants and make
unsightly scrapings in the lawn. And yet I leave the rabbits alone - I
enjoy seeing them around the garden.

But moles are different in that their excavations present a serious
risk to injury for me and my family. When the lawn gives way
unexpectedly underfoot, it is possible to break bones. We have had a
couple of sprained ankles. I think this takes wildlife tolerance too
far.

Then move in to the city and get yourself a window box. I'm sure there
are plenty of people that would enjoy the countryside without wanting
to get rid of it!

--

Hansom 0++0

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

PRAYER FOR A NATION

When Pastor Joe Wright, of Central Christian Church, was asked
to open the new session of the Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting
the usual politically correct generalities.
But what they heard instead was this:

Heavenly Father, we come before You today to ask Your forgiveness
and seek your direction and guidance.
We know Your Word says,
‘Woe on those who call evil good,’ but that’s exactly what we have done.
We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and inverted our values.

We confess that:

We have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and called it pluralism;

We have, worshipped other gods and called it multiculturalism;

We have endorsed perversion and called it an alternative lifestyle;

We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery;

We have neglected the needy and called it self-preservation;

We have killed our unborn and called it choice;

We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self-esteem;

We have abused power and called it political savvy;

We have coveted our neighbour’s possessions and called it ambition;

We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression;

We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.

Search us, 0 God, and know our hearts today; try us and see if there be some wicked way in us;
cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have
been sent here by the people of Kansas, and who have been ordained by You, to govern this great state.

Grant them Your wisdom to rule and may their decisions direct us to the centre of Your will. I ask it in the name of Your Son, the Living Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

****************
Old 30-09-2007, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:03:51 GMT, "clarissa"
wrote:

Hi everyone I live on the edge of woodland and so have many pests, such as
slugs and snails, crawling up from the bush - but the worst by far are the
moles that topple plants, disturb carefully laid small cobble patios, kill
perennials and shrubs. I can forgive the piles of dirt on the lawn because
grass soon fills in but killing much- loved plants is very discouraging. I
have tried everything I can think of - human hair, mothballs and gum in the
runs, flooding or gassing the runs, small windmills to create vibration, and
so forth. Nothing seems to work. I really don't want to trap them since I
think they probably die a terrible death. So can anyone suggest something
else that works. Many thanks for any help. Jean Vancouver BC Canada

If you find wildlife so intolerable, imagine how it finds you!

Move back to the city and get yourself a window box Post your keys
here so that one of us can enjoy your countryside..

Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 28/9/07 14:41, in article
,
"Uncle Marvo" wrote:
snip

I don't approve of killing anything apart from mosquitos and
bluebottles (so I'm not a Buddhist) but moles are blind and have an
acute sense of hearing, it seems, so one of those mole-deterrent
ultrasonic things might be the ticket.

The downside is that you end up with a plague of bats colliding
with your windows all night.

That couldn't possibly be a downside here. ;-) We get plagues of
moles from time to time because we're surrounded by farm land. The
adjoining church yard gets masses, too. From time to time, we have
to trap them because as someone has said, it makes our lawn very
dangerous.

The ultrasonic devices do NOT work. DEFRA appear to agree... .

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...ole-review.pdf

It says....

"The available information suggests that these devices are not
effective.."

"There was no shift in the range used by the animals"

"The authors proposed that moles were not deterred because the
vibrations produced by the devices were rapidly attenuated when
passing through soil and could not therefore be detected beyond a few
centimeters away"

Don't buy anything until you have read this report.

Oh, that's all right then.

I believe every single thing that DEFRA ever says :-)

You will find if you look at history that just about everything DEFRA ever
says is to do with whether DEFRA can save some money/cover their backs, etc
etc.

DEFRA doesn't float my boat.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

The ultrasonic devices do NOT work. DEFRA appear to agree... .

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...ole-review.pdf

It says....

"The available information suggests that these devices are not
effective.."

"There was no shift in the range used by the animals"

"The authors proposed that moles were not deterred because the
vibrations produced by the devices were rapidly attenuated when
passing through soil and could not therefore be detected beyond a few
centimeters away"

Don't buy anything until you have read this report.

Oh, that's all right then.

I believe every single thing that DEFRA ever says :-)

If you look at the report you will see it mostly quotes third party studies
from all over Europe and Russia. Personally I wish I'd seen the DEFRA report
earlier. I wasted £60 on three different ultrasonic devices and all I got
was a lawn full of tunnels. I got new mole hills right next to the things.
They appeared to have no effect whatsoever.

Apart from traps the only other thing I found that appeared to work were the
smoke sticks. They stopped new mole hills appearing for about two weeks -
then they came right back. I guess you could use them to clear an area then
install underground barriers but that's a lot of work.