Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Windy situation - evergreens

, I, Marvo, say :

I've just moved house (North Midlands). The neighbours say the front
is windy - it faces south. The soil is lime-free. I'm thinking of
planting the following evergreen shrubs:

Pieris
Viburnum Davidii
Photinia
Laurel

and:

Lavatera "Barnsley" (is this a perennial?)

Are they likely to thrive or even survive?
Any other evergreen recommendations? They need to be 5 feet tall at
least.

The only thing I would say is not to have a laurel near a wall. I am in the
throes of repairing one, the roots have completely lifted the wall (brick)
out of kilter and moved it several inches away. Right mess.

Viburnum - watch out for the dreaded beetle. It's not nice.

However, both thrived, as does a Pieris. The Pieris doesn't (yet) have a
downside.

I have no experience of Photinia, unless it goes by another name I don't
know of :-)