Old 01-10-2007, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Windy situation - evergreens

I've just moved house (North Midlands). The neighbours say the front is
windy - it faces south. The soil is lime-free. I'm thinking of planting
the following evergreen shrubs:

Pieris
Viburnum Davidii
Photinia
Laurel

and:

Lavatera "Barnsley" (is this a perennial?)

Are they likely to thrive or even survive?
Any other evergreen recommendations? They need to be 5 feet tall at least.

Another Dave
--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail
Old 01-10-2007, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I've just moved house (North Midlands). The neighbours say the front is
windy - it faces south. The soil is lime-free. I'm thinking of planting
the following evergreen shrubs:

Pieris
Viburnum Davidii
Photinia
Laurel

and:

Lavatera "Barnsley" (is this a perennial?)

It's perennial but not evergreen and not very long lived - especially when
subjected to wind. It's very pretty and is still flowering but fast growing
and the limbs are brittle. I had one which was always losing branches.

Mary

Old 01-10-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:

I have no experience of Photinia, unless it goes by another name I don't
know of :-)

I understand it's also called "Red Robin". The variety I've got is
"Fraserii".

Another Dave
--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail

Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

I'd grow the laurel as a shelter belt hedge the full length of the windy
edge. Then I'd use the others either in a shrubbery or as 'dot' plants in
front of the hedge once established.

The house is called Hillcrest for a reason It's on a steep slope.
I've just removed a Hawthorn hedge on top of a wall to expose the area
in which I want to plant the shrubs. I removed the hedge because I
couldn't reach the top of the hedge to clip it. The pavement slopes so
that I can't use ladders. On the garden side there are a load of
deciduous shrubs I want to get rid of because they're knackered. I think
I can just about prune some shrubs from the garden side without falling
into the road!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I've used some stump killer on the Hawthorn. How long should I leave it
before planting new stuff?

Another Dave
--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail
Old 01-10-2007, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/10/07 17:34, in article , "Another
Dave" wrote:

Uncle Marvo wrote:

I have no experience of Photinia, unless it goes by another name I don't
know of :-)

I understand it's also called "Red Robin". The variety I've got is
"Fraserii".

Another Dave

Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin' is a variety of Photinia. It looks wonderful
in spring when the brightly coloured shoots are coming through.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-10-2007, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/10/07 16:50, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I've just moved house (North Midlands). The neighbours say the front is
windy - it faces south. The soil is lime-free. I'm thinking of planting
the following evergreen shrubs:

Pieris
Viburnum Davidii
Photinia
Laurel

and:

Lavatera "Barnsley" (is this a perennial?)

It's perennial but not evergreen and not very long lived - especially when
subjected to wind. It's very pretty and is still flowering but fast growing
and the limbs are brittle. I had one which was always losing branches.

Mary

I'm afraid that's not quite correct. Lavatera 'Barnsley' is semi-evergreen.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/10/07 18:00, in article , "Another
Dave" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

I don't know, I'm afraid. I know that it can poison the surrounding plants,
so I think your best bet is not to take any chances but to check with the
manufacturers. But from personal experience, I had a row of leylandii cut
down and treated with Root Out. Before felling, I should think the trees
were about 12' tall, perhaps a bit more. Shortly after taking them down, I
planted a row of Eucalyptus periniana and Escallonia and last time I passed
that house they were flourishing.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

malcolm i know this has nothing to do with this post but did u recive
the postal order for the iCubed Etherlan 500 card is so have you
posted it?

Evergreens Jay United Kingdom 3 25-04-2005 05:57 PM
Suggestions for ugly evergreens? . Gardening 9 10-05-2004 08:04 AM
a frame and a theme Landscape Architecture; evergreens to Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 1 10-06-2003 08:08 PM
Landscape Architecture; evergreens to buffaloberry to amur-maple Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 31-05-2003 06:32 PM
Suggestions for interesting/showy evergreens for large containers Robert United Kingdom 0 29-09-2002 10:31 PM