Old 01-10-2007, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Windy situation - evergreens

On 1/10/07 15:45, in article , "Another
Dave" wrote:

I've just moved house (North Midlands). The neighbours say the front is
windy - it faces south. The soil is lime-free. I'm thinking of planting
the following evergreen shrubs:

Pieris
Viburnum Davidii
Photinia
Laurel

and:

Lavatera "Barnsley" (is this a perennial?)

Yes but they're not that long-lived and can keel over for no apparent
reason. Still worth growing, though because they're lovely.

Are they likely to thrive or even survive?
Any other evergreen recommendations? They need to be 5 feet tall at least.

Another Dave

I'd grow the laurel as a shelter belt hedge the full length of the windy
edge. Then I'd use the others either in a shrubbery or as 'dot' plants in
front of the hedge once established.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk