Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another Dave Another Dave is offline

Default Windy situation - evergreens

Sacha wrote:

I'd grow the laurel as a shelter belt hedge the full length of the windy
edge. Then I'd use the others either in a shrubbery or as 'dot' plants in
front of the hedge once established.

The house is called Hillcrest for a reason It's on a steep slope.
I've just removed a Hawthorn hedge on top of a wall to expose the area
in which I want to plant the shrubs. I removed the hedge because I
couldn't reach the top of the hedge to clip it. The pavement slopes so
that I can't use ladders. On the garden side there are a load of
deciduous shrubs I want to get rid of because they're knackered. I think
I can just about prune some shrubs from the garden side without falling
into the road!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I've used some stump killer on the Hawthorn. How long should I leave it
before planting new stuff?

Another Dave
--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail