Old 02-10-2007, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Don H3 Don H3 is offline

Default The Future of Agriculture and the Importance of Developing Our Skills and

Glenna Rose wrote:
n writes:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Charlie wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:02:59 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

Well the US is blessed in many ways with less marginal land/climate
positive
factors than we are/have, so perhaps the effects aren't so evident to
your
people, but I am frequently amazed at some of the comments I see about
global warning from US residents. Denial is the most frequent

response.
No-one here is doing that anymore - even our Prime Minister has finally
realised that it's a problem and he's a good friend of Geo. Bush.

You wouldn't believe some of the comments you hear from US residents
about a a great number of deadly issues.......it's frightening and sad.
We are in a world of hurt here, and it isn't looking better, day by
day. From your other post is sounds as if Oz is headed down the same
path.

Hey...we dragged the Ozzites into our stupid war. Their guvmint's even
putting the same stuff in the kool-aid to get their subjects to believe
the war's a great thing.

Actually that is not quite right. Before the Iraq war, the opinion polls
in
Oz were 65% AGAINST the war whereas in the US it was about the same
percentage FOR the war. Our PM made the decision to send troops off in
the
face of strong local opposition and that opposition has hardened more but
not hugely for the time that our troops have been a way. Our PM, who is
quite cunning sometimes, also obviously realised that body bags were not
good look for him so he only sent a very few troops (IIRC it's in the
order
of about 1200 troops) and made sure that they were in a relatively safe
area
of Iraq. That way, he could be seen to be supporting our allies but
wasn't
running too great a risk. Bush can still claim that the US has an ally
in
Oz but given that our contribution is so small, he's obviously desperate
continue to have any allies.

Australia has always been one of my hoped-for travel destinations so it
matters what you folks think of us. Hopefully, you folks don't believe
the media reports (read: government reports) about the support for the war
by those in the U.S. I suspect those support percentages are inflated or
carefully "collected." While we in our area are not notorious current
administration supporters, there was only one person I knew who supported
the invasion. Irony? She professes to be a christian (lower case
deliberate) - which brings me to a sign posted pre-invasion at our local
raceway, "Who would Jesus bomb?" Of course, none of her children are in
the military - though the way things are going, the draft will catch her
youngest. (Did I say "draft?" If our current administration attacks Iraq
as well, where do people think these troops are going to come from?)

Since a child and learning of Hitler's "actions" regarding large segments
of Germany and neighboring countries population, I wondered how the people
of that country could allow their government to do such horrible things.
Tragically, we are getting a lesson in that now with what our own
administration is doing. It (he!) keeps telling us that we are "safer"
now when reality indicates to me that it is exactly what "we" are doing
that is breeding hatred and more terrorists. I'm wondering how many of us
would do things we thought we never could if we were faced with the
horrors "we" (read: our government) are responsible for inflicting in a
country who did not ask us to visit.

Apart from the horrors being experienced by so many because of our
administration's decisions, is the truly tragic idea that the rest of the
world gets of U.S. citizens. Most of us would never deliberately do what
has been done, yet we are guilty by being here and not stopping it. It is
beyond my comprehension how enough people voted for that person for him to
continue (note omission of "to get elected or re-elected"). Now, the
current administration has "altered" laws enough that it would be highly
unlikely any real movement for change could be rapid, not while he is
still there. To the credit of our country, there was a house-cleaning
last year in the legislative branch of our government, but sadly not
enough. Perhaps next year will finish it, but four years (or rather
eight) too late for hundreds of thousands of innocent people. There is no
way this can have a good outcome because of what has already happened.
"Damage control" is the term so often used when prevention works so much
better so there is no need for "damage control."

The garden is my life line. I take care of it, and it responds. Usually,
that response is good food to eat. The least I get from it is being
closer to where the entire world (especially our "developed" nations)
needs to be, in tune with nature. The wonder of watching things grow is
necessary to our own internal harmony. It was my garden which helped me
take major steps towards the very difficult adjustment after my son's
death, being reminded every day how things really can continue and even
flourish in spite of us humans.

Glenna
[off soapbox for own peace of mind]

imho the only reason "he" (King George Junior) remains is that daddy
is a director of the CI rhymes with hay. A lifetime position. He would
never have gotten INTO office w/o that ballbat backup that the supreme
court justices (appointed by daddy) most assuredly know about and
fear. Present tense. Nothing different from GGdaddy who raped the
American West and killed thousands to curtail Labor Strikes and sold
guns to both sides in the Civil War, or Gdaddy who financed little
adolph through five different banks: Repeatedly the US tried to freeze
the assets, and every time gdaddy (& company) transferred the funds
destined for little adolph to a different bank on paper, just before
they could be been frozen by the US Government. It's the family
history: profiteering on human death and misery.

"A tyrant is always stirring up some war or other, in order that the
people may require a leader." -Plato

Obviously Plato didn't understand the role of money.~/