Old 02-10-2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Evergreen Tree Dying - Help

By the time you notice a tree of this type declining it is usally too late.
E.g., look at a xmas tree. It looks good for months with no roots. Really
has a serious problem.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"ovoco5" wrote in message
news

Hi all, this is my first post here and I'm hoping to get some much
needed help to sharpen my gardening skills.

I noticed this weekend that a tree I have in my front garden is looking
awful. I'm pretty sure that it took it's turn for the worse earlier this
week from Tuesday when we had a cold day (but no frost). Now I'm not
sure what the name of the tree is, but it's an evergreen because all
pictures I have of the front of the house (and I've lived there for 4
years) show the tree is always green (including winter time). This is
what the tree would normally look like. If anyone can tell me the name
of the tree I'd be grateful.

[image:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...fullbloom.jpg]

Regrettably this is what it looks like now. (Notice the leafs around
the base of the tree, some are bronze, others are dark green)

[image:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...sept07001.jpg]

In our front garden we do have a short but dense Golden privet bush
which runs along side it, that too has started to deteriorate in areas.
On both the tree and the privots the leafs have just turned a bronze and
crisped, with no signs of fresh growth.

This is what they now look like.

[image:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...etbrowned.jpg]

I've checked for signs of pests but nothing out of the norm - (not that
I really know what I'm looking for). No weed killer has been used on
this area too.

Because there is plenty of other shrubbery such as Lavendar, Holly,
Conifers, two Silver Birches that appear fine, I'm hoping that it may
just be down to a case of needing more water, but I have watered my
front garden when there has been a dry period.

This is a picture of the front garden taken a few months back.

[image:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...spring008.jpg]

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks