Old 01-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Registered User

Default Evergreen Tree Dying - Help

Hi all, this is my first post here and I’m hoping to get some much needed help to sharpen my gardening skills.

I noticed this weekend that a tree I have in my front garden is looking awful. I’m pretty sure that it took it’s turn for the worse earlier this week from Tuesday when we had a cold day (but no frost). Now I’m not sure what the name of the tree is, but it’s an evergreen because all pictures I have of the front of the house (and I’ve lived there for 4 years) show the tree is always green (including winter time). This is what the tree would normally look like. If anyone can tell me the name of the tree I’d be grateful.

Regrettably this is what it looks like now. (Notice the leafs around the base of the tree, some are bronze, others are dark green)

In our front garden we do have a short but dense Golden privet bush which runs along side it, that too has started to deteriorate in areas. On both the tree and the privots the leafs have just turned a bronze and crisped, with no signs of fresh growth.

This is what they now look like.

I’ve checked for signs of pests but nothing out of the norm – (not that I really know what I’m looking for). No weed killer has been used on this area too.

Because there is plenty of other shrubbery such as Lavendar, Holly, Conifers, two Silver Birches that appear fine, I’m hoping that it may just be down to a case of needing more water, but I have watered my front garden when there has been a dry period.

This is a picture of the front garden taken a few months back.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Greg
Old 02-10-2007, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Now I'm not sure what the name of the tree is, but it's an
evergreen because all pictures I have of the front of the house (and
I've lived there for 4 years) show the tree is always green
(including winter time).

Please post your location and close-up photos of the leaves (and
flowers and fruit if you can, or descriptions if not).

Maybe someone else will recognize it just based on
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...nfullbloom.jpg
but I'm afraid I don't.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

check in the soil around the tree and infected plants for grubs and
other insects that might be eatting the roots of infected plants.

Also you might want to get the magnifing glass out and look on the
back sides of the leafs of the tree for small bugs as well ..... looks
like something is sucking the life right out of it (if it did not get
sprayed by acedent ( from ajacent place ??)

Good luck will ask the rest of the group at the TGTA

http://www.geocities.com/thegreenthu...nce/index.html

What they think the problem might be too and let you know if they come
up with any thing.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"ovoco5" wrote in message
news

Hi all, this is my first post here and I'm hoping to get some much
needed help to sharpen my gardening skills.

I noticed this weekend that a tree I have in my front garden is looking
awful. I'm pretty sure that it took it's turn for the worse earlier this
week from Tuesday when we had a cold day (but no frost). Now I'm not
sure what the name of the tree is, but it's an evergreen because all
pictures I have of the front of the house (and I've lived there for 4
years) show the tree is always green (including winter time). This is
what the tree would normally look like. If anyone can tell me the name
of the tree I'd be grateful.

[image:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...fullbloom.jpg]

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...sept07001.jpg]

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...etbrowned.jpg]

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...spring008.jpg]

Old 02-10-2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

By the time you notice a tree of this type declining it is usally too late.
E.g., look at a xmas tree. It looks good for months with no roots. Really
has a serious problem.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.