Old 04-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Earl D Fitzgerald

Default Controlling DIY CO2

DIY bottles exploding are mostly urban myth or lack of the one way valve.

Da'fishboy

"Rich Conley" wrote in message
"Millions of pressurized bottles are used in soda
fountains worldwide, and you don't hear about many problems with those

either."

Thats partially because when these things tank dump....the soda just tasts

bad..it
doesnt kill you....

Dave Millman wrote:

Harry Muscle wrote:

I've been playing around (in my head) with the whole idea of using DIY

CO2
instead of presurized CO2 (cause of the cost and safety).

If I understand your idea, you believe that DIY CO2 suffers from control
problems, and you are proposing to store CO2 in a 4L "box", or soda

bottle to
solve that problem. I'm not sure that DIY CO2 actually has control

problems. I
think the issue is variable output over time, based on recipe, age of

mix,
ambient temperature, and other variables.

Consider this: if you use two DIY bottles, connect them with a T fitting

and
alternate renewing them, you will have a much more even output (change

the mix
of bottle A on day 0, bottle B on day 7, bottle A on day 14, etc.).

Next, if you
adjust your surface agitation, you can keep your CO2 concentration to

within 3-5
ppm pretty consistently.

BTW, you mention safety problems of pressurized CO2. I've heard many

more
stories about DIY exploding or dumping into tanks than I have of

pressurized
bottles causing problems. Millions of pressurized bottles are used in