Old 06-10-2007, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Advice on ground cover between pavers.

Ann wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand expounded:

I've got a small sitting area that I just finished with 6x9 pavers.
Since I prefer a natural look I left 1/2 of space between each on the
sand bed. In this space I'd spread screened (as in via window screen)
dirt which I watered to compact.

Now, I need advice on something to plant between the pavers.

I'm zone 6b, south western Kentucky.

The area is shaded however I don't think it's enough to place the wild
moss varieties in that grow on the property.

You don't really want moss if you're going to walk out there all the
time. They don't care for so much foot traffic, and the moisture can
cause slipperyness. Most nurseries carry plants they call Stepables
http://www.stepables.com/ Maybe something there would fit your bill.

Thanks for the link. It's got alot of great plants in it I can check out.

I don't so much need something that is used for foot traffic though as
it's only a very small area only large enough to hold a bench and set
your feet on when you walk up to it.. Leading up to it would be steeping
stones to allow for more planting and less hardscape.

Still appreciate the link though since I do need to find some true
stepable plants for other places in the yard.. Maybe I can find some
that are dog tolerant and use it in the dogs area (1000 sf). One of my
dogs is allergic to grass so going to at least limit the grass in that area.