Old 06-10-2007, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Advice on ground cover between pavers.

I've got a small sitting area that I just finished with 6x9 pavers.
Since I prefer a natural look I left 1/2 of space between each on the
sand bed. In this space I'd spread screened (as in via window screen)
dirt which I watered to compact.

Now, I need advice on something to plant between the pavers.

I'm zone 6b, south western Kentucky.

The area is shaded however I don't think it's enough to place the wild
moss varieties in that grow on the property.

On the moss note, can I propagate the moss at this time of year?
(buttermilk/moss/blender method) or should I wait? There are some on the
property that get the same lighting so they may work.

On any others. Do you all have any suggestions on something that will
spread along the "dirt grout" and not engulf the pavers?

Thanks for any advice you can give. I've already got a patch of creeping
thyme near by and a small bit of something else I forget the name of
(looks succulent, gets small star yellow flowers, spreads like mad) near
by but I don't want it on the pavers as it will cover them bad.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Scott Hildenbrand expounded:

I've got a small sitting area that I just finished with 6x9 pavers.
Since I prefer a natural look I left 1/2 of space between each on the
sand bed. In this space I'd spread screened (as in via window screen)
dirt which I watered to compact.

Now, I need advice on something to plant between the pavers.

I'm zone 6b, south western Kentucky.

The area is shaded however I don't think it's enough to place the wild
moss varieties in that grow on the property.

You don't really want moss if you're going to walk out there all the
time. They don't care for so much foot traffic, and the moisture can
cause slipperyness. Most nurseries carry plants they call Stepables
http://www.stepables.com/ Maybe something there would fit your bill.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 06-10-2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Lar wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
[...]

I always liked Corsican mint. Not real sure of it's zone restrictions
though.

Lar

Wife loves this one. Will have to check it out and see if I can do it
here, thanks!
Old 06-10-2007, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand expounded:

I've got a small sitting area that I just finished with 6x9 pavers.
Since I prefer a natural look I left 1/2 of space between each on the
sand bed. In this space I'd spread screened (as in via window screen)
dirt which I watered to compact.

Now, I need advice on something to plant between the pavers.

I'm zone 6b, south western Kentucky.

The area is shaded however I don't think it's enough to place the wild
moss varieties in that grow on the property.

You don't really want moss if you're going to walk out there all the
time. They don't care for so much foot traffic, and the moisture can
cause slipperyness. Most nurseries carry plants they call Stepables
http://www.stepables.com/ Maybe something there would fit your bill.

Thanks for the link. It's got alot of great plants in it I can check out.

I don't so much need something that is used for foot traffic though as
it's only a very small area only large enough to hold a bench and set
your feet on when you walk up to it.. Leading up to it would be steeping
stones to allow for more planting and less hardscape.

Still appreciate the link though since I do need to find some true
stepable plants for other places in the yard.. Maybe I can find some
that are dog tolerant and use it in the dogs area (1000 sf). One of my
dogs is allergic to grass so going to at least limit the grass in that area.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
[...]

Thought I'd share this site with you all since it's on the subject that
I'm asking about here..

http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Ex...coverMain.html

Still looking forward to anyone else's opinions. Some times a first hand
opinion is better than digging through piles of online data!