Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Chil(l)i con whiteflies

"K" wrote in message
Mary Fisher writes

--

I'd like to know too. We haven't a conservatory and this year, for some
reason, there haven't been any whitefly in the greenhouse but the brassica

I'd also like to know what harm they do to the crops (as opposed to being
irritating).

Indoors, they can get thick enough to severely damage leaves and weaken
the plant.

If it's just one or two plants to be brought in I'd suggest wave the
plants around vigorously outside until all the adults are dispersed, pick
off all leaves with nymphs (look like small green plates on the underside
of the leaf) and also any leaves with tiny black 'prickles' sticking
downwards as these I suspect are the eggs. The bring the plants inside and
watch like a awk for any sign of reinfestation.
--
Kay

So the cabbages won't suffer?

Mary