Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chil(l)i con whiteflies

Hi..

Well the plan is to overwinter some potted C. frutescens in a conservatory
in northern direction but at the moment an increasing glasshouse whitefly
problem makes me worry about their near future..

On the one hand I'd like to get rid of them as soon as possible but on the
other hand there are some aquaria stocked with sensitive animals placed
close to the hot peppers. These aquaria also have submerged and emerged
(particularly blooming!) plant parts and I'm wondering if the emerged parts
might be a refuge for the whiteflies, too..

So how to treat the hot peppers cautiously without endangering those
aquarium animals..?

Any ideas, remarks and suggestions are welcome..

Thanks in advance..!

--
cu
Marco
Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/10/07 10:52, in article , "Marco
Schwarz" wrote:

Hi..

Well the plan is to overwinter some potted C. frutescens in a conservatory
in northern direction but at the moment an increasing glasshouse whitefly
problem makes me worry about their near future..

On the one hand I'd like to get rid of them as soon as possible but on the
other hand there are some aquaria stocked with sensitive animals placed
close to the hot peppers. These aquaria also have submerged and emerged
(particularly blooming!) plant parts and I'm wondering if the emerged parts
might be a refuge for the whiteflies, too..

So how to treat the hot peppers cautiously without endangering those
aquarium animals..?

Any ideas, remarks and suggestions are welcome..

Thanks in advance..!

Biological control. Encarsia.
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/whitefly.htm

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-10-2007, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Well the plan is to overwinter some potted C. frutescens in a conservatory
in northern direction but at the moment an increasing glasshouse whitefly
problem makes me worry about their near future..

On the one hand I'd like to get rid of them as soon as possible but on the
other hand there are some aquaria stocked with sensitive animals placed
close to the hot peppers. These aquaria also have submerged and emerged
(particularly blooming!) plant parts and I'm wondering if the emerged
parts
might be a refuge for the whiteflies, too..

So how to treat the hot peppers cautiously without endangering those
aquarium animals..?

Any ideas, remarks and suggestions are welcome..

Thanks in advance..!

--

I'd like to know too. We haven't a conservatory and this year, for some
reason, there haven't been any whitefly in the greenhouse but the brassica

I'd also like to know what harm they do to the crops (as opposed to being
irritating).

Mary

Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

--

I'd like to know too. We haven't a conservatory and this year, for some
reason, there haven't been any whitefly in the greenhouse but the brassica
patch is wick with them.

I'd also like to know what harm they do to the crops (as opposed to being
irritating).

Indoors, they can get thick enough to severely damage leaves and weaken
the plant.

If it's just one or two plants to be brought in I'd suggest wave the
plants around vigorously outside until all the adults are dispersed,
pick off all leaves with nymphs (look like small green plates on the
underside of the leaf) and also any leaves with tiny black 'prickles'
sticking downwards as these I suspect are the eggs. The bring the plants
inside and watch like a awk for any sign of reinfestation.
--
Kay
Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Mary Fisher writes

--

[...]

So the cabbages won't suffer?

Mary

Old 08-10-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

"K" wrote in message
Mary Fisher writes

--
[...]

Dunno. I'd have expected there'd be enough predators around to keep the
whitefly to manageable levels.
--
Kay
Old 09-10-2007, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

Sacha wrote:

Biological control. Encarsia.
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/whitefly.htm

Thank you very much..!

I'll think about some Encarsia next spring because it seem to be sold until
September..

BTW: got the tip to spray a mixture of soap (should take some soft soap but
did try out curd soap because I had no soft soap) and some additional
methylated spirit..

Well seem to work..
--
cu
Marco, who cut the emerged aquarium plant parts, too..

Still have whiteflies Marie Dodge Edible Gardening 26 16-08-2008 03:56 AM
whiteflies bad in your area higgledy Edible Gardening 1 09-06-2006 02:54 AM
vinegar for whiteflies Saqib Ali Gardening 9 01-09-2003 10:02 PM
whiteflies [email protected] Roses 1 30-05-2003 06:08 PM
Gardenias, ,mold and whiteflies Louis Texas 2 18-04-2003 06:08 PM