Old 09-10-2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose Glenna Rose is offline

Default How were your tomatoes this year?

writes:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 05:19:53 -0400, EV wrote:

I had my worst year ever. I had 30 plants, I only got enough tomatoes to
produce a gallon of sauce. My tomatoes developed some sort of wilt which
killed the plants early. I'm in Massachusetts.

In addition to a poor growing season this year, mine also started wilting
and dying which I blamed it on the ash/oak chips I added around them.
(The others didn't.)

I am removing all those chips after our first frost and bringing in all
the horse manure I can get hauled to replace the nitrogen that I was told
was taken from the soil. Since the chips were added half-way through the
season, I am not sure that they have had enough time to pull that much
nitrogen from the soil.

Maybe, I'm blaming the wrong thing. The stupice and sun golds have held
up best and are still healthy, but they are on the fringes of the chips
where the chips weren't so deep.

???

Glenna