Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How were your tomatoes this year?

In article fc.003d094102317f863b9aca0042391186.2317f8d@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 05:19:53 -0400, EV wrote:

I had my worst year ever. I had 30 plants, I only got enough tomatoes to
produce a gallon of sauce. My tomatoes developed some sort of wilt which
killed the plants early. I'm in Massachusetts.

In addition to a poor growing season this year, mine also started wilting
and dying which I blamed it on the ash/oak chips I added around them.
(The others didn't.)

I am removing all those chips after our first frost and bringing in all
the horse manure I can get hauled to replace the nitrogen that I was told
was taken from the soil. Since the chips were added half-way through the
season, I am not sure that they have had enough time to pull that much
nitrogen from the soil.

Maybe, I'm blaming the wrong thing. The stupice and sun golds have held
up best and are still healthy, but they are on the fringes of the chips
where the chips weren't so deep.

???

Glenna

I planted half of my tomatoes tightly with green beans, trying to shade
out any weeds. The beans produced wonderfully from June through August
but at one end of the row the leaves started to curl and dry out, in a
leathery fashion. Then the tomatoes started to show the same problem.
Some of my tomatoes in this row never did set fruit, otherwise they are
just starting to produce more fruit than we can easily eat. However it
is mid 40's to high 30's at night and tonight we are expecting our
first, short may it be, real rain. I probably should go harvest those
that are red, right away, and the green ones, on my next day off.

The Stupice was the first to set fruit for me but other wise it wasn't
very productive. The Striped German did the best, and it was a good
producer last year as well.

I can't blame the parsimonious tomato harvest completely on the leaf
curl, as other gardeners in this area have related to me their difficult
year in the garden with crops not developing as usual. The Peche Jaune
tomatoes that are supposed to be earlier ripeners, only recently, just
did produce a few tomatoes.

Next year I think I'll plant the Peche Jaune, Green Zebra, Marmande,
Striped German, San Marzano, and Brandywine in pairs, as well as one or
two cherry tomatoes.

Oh yeah, the bird house gourd is out of it's gourd, so to speak, and
requires constant attention or its' rampant growth will take over the
world.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley