Old 04-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Advice please for balcony plants.

(Jim) wrote in news:5ec40f04.0304031115.190a9423
@posting.google.com:

Victoria-

thanks for all your help and advice. I have one more question about
the 'Buxus sempervirens' (they do seem to be what I was thinking of):
the crocus site states that they need partial shade. Wind problems
aside (I can secure the pot if I think necessary), I am planning to
put these on a London south-facing balcony. Some would say that that
is partial shade enough, but do you think they would survive
south-facing?

Yes - I have 4 in unglazed terracotta pots on a south-facing set of steps
against a cream coloured wall in Cornwall. It doesn't get much sunnier and
better drained than that in the UK, and they are thriving.

I also have 5 planted in the ground on the North side of a small stone wall
(so in shade most of the day): they are healthy too, but they don't grow as
fast as the ones on the steps.

Nicks suggestion of a baytree ball is also a good one given the sunny
aspect - I didn't recommend this myself as I've not got one, and wasn't
sure where to suggest you buy one, but if you go to a posh London garden
centre they will almost certainly have a selection for you. ;-)

Ivy would be fine for the climber. Can you suggest any ivy variants
that look nice (maybe variegated leaves or interesting colour...) ?
Also, can you buy mature ivy?

As Nick says, Ivy grows pretty fast. If you can't find a large plant, buy
a small one and water and feed well: it'll become a large plant in 3-4
months! They are all tough - just choose whatever you like the look of.

Victoria