Old 13-10-2007, 09:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kye Kye is offline

Default There's a fungus among us

Wasn't there a thread AGES back about this being detrimental to the general
health of plants???

From memory it was back in the days of the Venger/Ray flame wars so too far
back for me to recall accurately though I cannot recall whether we ever
resolved the issue.

--
Yours Sincerely
Kye

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
. ..
In general, I hate to see chemicals being sprayed "just in case." But if
you are in a fungus-prone environment (we are, in hot humid south Florida,
and if you are having recurrent infections, apparently you are, too),
spraying a fungicide once a month or so will not harm your plants and will
probably help.

The chemical should be rotated -- not Physan every time, but switch to
something with a different active ingredient after a few sprayings, and
then back. It's also important to spray the surrounding areas (benches,
floor, hangers, etc.), not just the plants, and to achieve proper coverage
(undersides of leaves). Kenni

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
I occasionally have issues with fungus and bacteria spots on the leaves of
some of my plants (esp. Phals). Just when I think I have it under control
I see spots on the leaves again.

Should I spray Physan occassionally? After I see the damage it's too
late so how do youse guys and gals handle this?

Good Growing,
Gene