Old 15-10-2007, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default overwatered phalenopsis: what to do?

Shulamit wrote:
I have a phal with potting material that retains a great deal of
moisture and I unknowingly overwatered. It has two spikes, flowers on
one, none on the other. All buds have dropped (flowers have remained)
and one of its three leaves has turned yellow. What to do?

a) clip the yellow leaf?
b) repot in dry medium and water in a week?
c) clip back the bare spike?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shulamit

1) cut off both spikes to base of the spike.
2) repot in new medium, usually presoaked fir bark with perlite 3 parts
bark, 1 part #3 perlite (aka large perlite available at most garden
centers.) in a pot just large enough to hold the remaining healthy roots
3) make sure the plant is not wobbly in the pot.
4)Water in one week.
5) buy the book by Ortho (if you are in America) 'All a about growing
orchids'
6) wait until next year for blooms

K Barrett