Old 14-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Registered User

Default overwatered phalenopsis: what to do?

I have a phal with potting material that retains a great deal of moisture and I unknowingly overwatered. It has two spikes, flowers on one, none on the other. All buds have dropped (flowers have remained) and one of its three leaves has turned yellow. What to do?

a) clip the yellow leaf?
b) repot in dry medium and water in a week?
c) clip back the bare spike?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shulamit
Old 15-10-2007, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Shulamit wrote:
I have a phal with potting material that retains a great deal of
moisture and I unknowingly overwatered. It has two spikes, flowers on
one, none on the other. All buds have dropped (flowers have remained)
and one of its three leaves has turned yellow. What to do?

a) clip the yellow leaf?
b) repot in dry medium and water in a week?
c) clip back the bare spike?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shulamit

1) cut off both spikes to base of the spike.
2) repot in new medium, usually presoaked fir bark with perlite 3 parts
bark, 1 part #3 perlite (aka large perlite available at most garden
centers.) in a pot just large enough to hold the remaining healthy roots
3) make sure the plant is not wobbly in the pot.
4)Water in one week.
5) buy the book by Ortho (if you are in America) 'All a about growing
orchids'
6) wait until next year for blooms

K Barrett

Old 15-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Registered User

[quote=Bob Walsh;754326]Starting with the very top leaf as number one which leaf is turning yellow?

1) There are three leaves, two top ones and one underneath. The underneath one is the yellow one. Should I clip it still? As close to the root as possible?

2) Should I clip both spikes - with flowers and without? Or clip the bare spike, repot, then wait til the flowers drop before clipping the second spike?

Thanks so much for the suggestions for what to do! I will buy the book you recommended.

Shulamit
Old 15-10-2007, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The yellow leaf will come off in a few days, I would not cut it. Follow
Kathy's advice. My concern was that if it was the top leaf (#1) you can
rarely bring them back, and then only through a basal kiekie.

Bob

--
Shulamit

Old 19-10-2007, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Personally, I'd decide if it's worth trying to salvage depending on what it
is -- something you really love, or just something green that you hate to
toss. Also consider the condition of the roots when you get it out of the
pot. If there is still a good root system, chances are good. If there's
not much healthy root left, not so good. Can you replace it for less than
you're going to spend trying to save it? If it's from one of those box
stores with the 1-year guaranty, you might just trade it in (some will let
you do this even without a receipt).

If you decide to save it, then pretty much what K said. Yes, cut both
spikes -- put the one with flowers remaining into a bud vase with water if
you want, it'll probably last longer than roses. Flowers suck energy from a
plant, and if it's already struggling, that's not good. Use clips and/or
stakes if you need to, to keep it from wobbling in the pot. And if it's
really precious to you, consider a fungicide dip while it's out of the old
pot, before it goes into the new. On the yellow leaf, unless it develops
soft black spots, I'd leave it to fall off on its own.

Good growing, Kenni

Unless the yellow leaf develops soft black spots, leave it to fall off by
itself.
"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Overwatered orchid slanchogled Orchids 3 14-06-2004 10:06 PM
overwatered Christmas cactus [email protected] Gardening 8 01-12-2003 04:32 AM
overwatered Christmas cactus [email protected] Gardening 0 29-11-2003 12:19 AM
phalenopsis agnatha3141 Orchids 4 18-11-2003 01:45 AM
Question about Phalenopsis Breeders Bacchae Orchids 7 31-03-2003 02:08 PM