Old 16-10-2007, 09:34 AM
PLOTTY PLOTTY is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie[_2_] View Post
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:49:45 +0100, PLOTTY
wrote:

Hi all, another week of progress here at my allotments to share with
you, I don't know how you are finding the mild weather but some of the
Fruit & Vegetables are getting a new lease of life, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com

Hi Steve

I'm not sure I understand allotments and if you could briefly explain I
would be grateful. In other words, what the bloody hell are
allotments? As a yank, I don't get it. I mean no disrespect
whatsoever.

Charlie, smack dab in the middle of the us.
Hi Charlie and thanks for your reply.

Allotments were pieces of land provided to workers during the industrial revolution to give them the opportunity to get out of the heavily populated, cramped and polluted conditions of the towns and cities, to grow their own healthy produce whilst in cleaner air and getting exercise at the same time. The areas of land are rented by the tenants for a very modest amount, for example one of my allotments is 100ft x 35ft and costs about $40 a year to rent which is great value considering how expensive the cost of land is here in the UK, hope this help explain them better regards Steve.