Old 14-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Registered User

Default My Allotments Wk41 Update

Hi all, another week of progress here at my allotments to share with you, I don't know how you are finding the mild weather but some of the Fruit & Vegetables are getting a new lease of life, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com
Old 15-10-2007, 06:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
PLOTTY wrote:

Hi all, another week of progress here at my allotments to share with
you, I don't know how you are finding the mild weather but some of the
Fruit & Vegetables are getting a new lease of life, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com

Looks like a right beautiful harvest!
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 15-10-2007, 07:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 00:48:49 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
PLOTTY wrote:

Hi all, another week of progress here at my allotments to share with
you, I don't know how you are finding the mild weather but some of the
Fruit & Vegetables are getting a new lease of life, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com

Looks like a right beautiful harvest!

You still up too? Or just gettin' to it.

Have a good day.
Charlie

I work nights. :-)

Old 15-10-2007, 11:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:49:45 +0100, PLOTTY
wrote:

Hi all, another week of progress here at my allotments to share with
you, I don't know how you are finding the mild weather but some of the
Fruit & Vegetables are getting a new lease of life, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com

Hi Steve

I'm not sure I understand allotments and if you could briefly explain I
would be grateful. In other words, what the bloody hell are
allotments? As a yank, I don't get it. I mean no disrespect
whatsoever.

Charlie, smack dab in the middle of the us.

In general it just means a parcel of land. The OP says he has two and there
is an allotment association so probably it has some special meaning to him,
such as:

noun [C] UK
a small piece of ground in or just outside a town that a person rents for
growing vegetables, fruits or flowers

He doesn't seem to reply much to the NG, perhaps it's more important to him
for his blog to get traffic.

David

Old 16-10-2007, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Same deal in Germany. There they are called grund stück (piece of
ground).
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley

Old 16-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie[_2_] View Post
wrote:

Hi all, another week of progress here at my allotments to share with
you, I don't know how you are finding the mild weather but some of the
Fruit & Vegetables are getting a new lease of life, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com

Hi Steve

I'm not sure I understand allotments and if you could briefly explain I
would be grateful. In other words, what the bloody hell are
allotments? As a yank, I don't get it. I mean no disrespect
whatsoever.

Charlie, smack dab in the middle of the us.
Hi Charlie and thanks for your reply.

Allotments were pieces of land provided to workers during the industrial revolution to give them the opportunity to get out of the heavily populated, cramped and polluted conditions of the towns and cities, to grow their own healthy produce whilst in cleaner air and getting exercise at the same time. The areas of land are rented by the tenants for a very modest amount, for example one of my allotments is 100ft x 35ft and costs about $40 a year to rent which is great value considering how expensive the cost of land is here in the UK, hope this help explain them better regards Steve.
Old 16-10-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"PLOTTY" wrote in message

Allotments were pieces of land provided to workers during the
industrial revolution to give them the opportunity to get out of the
heavily populated, cramped and polluted conditions of the towns and
cities, to grow their own healthy produce whilst in cleaner air and
getting exercise at the same time. The areas of land are rented by the
tenants for a very modest amount, for example one of my allotments is
100ft x 35ft and costs about $40 a year to rent which is great value
considering how expensive the cost of land is here in the UK, hope this
help explain them better regards Steve.

PLOTTY

I enjoyed your page. These set-ups are called community gardens in
North America. I did a search and was surprised to see that my
city has 30 of these. My mom has or had one even though she
has a nice sized backyard. I might also look into getting one if
there seems to be some extra plots just going to waste. I look
forward to your updates.
Karen

Old 16-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Registered User

Allotments are small plots of land for growing produce. They are run by the local authority and you can rent one to use on the provision you keep it well. Very occasionally they will let you keep livestock too, but this is rare. I think they were most popular during the war when food was scarce
Old 17-10-2007, 06:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"PLOTTY" wrote in message

Hi all, another week of progress here at my allotments to share with
you, I don't know how you are finding the mild weather but some of the
Fruit & Vegetables are getting a new lease of life, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com

--
PLOTTY

USA retired military here. Allotment is something they deduct from your pay
that you requested. Example: saving allotment.

In your case, an allotment is where you use a parcel of land for your
personal use. Along the way, you provide deeper soil and more fertile
conditions. That's the way it used to be. Also, added to the equation, are
long term unknowns from current fertilizers and insecticides.

No. After seeing this, so far, mild autumn, I don't look forward to winter
being any better. There is a purpose in zero vicinity F temperatures
regarding insect populations. There is a purpose in plant-life dormant
periods.
Dave

Old 17-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
"PLOTTY" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Dave I agree with you, without a harsh Winter many of the pests survive and are even more of a problem next year unfortunately, Steve.