Old 17-10-2007, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default mulching with pine needles?

I had read, years ago in a Master Gardener news letter (zone 8) that
mulching strawberries with pine needles intensified the flavor. I'd head to
the end of the block every year with my wheelbarrow and collect a big batch
from the one tree around to run through my chipper/shredder and mulched my
everbearing strawberry bed every fall. The first year I tried this I didn't
shred them up and they really didn't break down all that well. I honestly
think it did make a difference. I had the best strawberries in the
neighborhood. By the second summer they had developed a flavor almost like
the little wild strawberries. Just cutting them up in the kitchen would fill
the air with the aroma of strawberries. Wonderful!

Val