Old 16-10-2007, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default mulching with pine needles?

I live in zone 5 and was wondering if mulching beds this time of year
with the long pine needles that fall from my trees is beneficial, or
if it adds too much acidity to the soil. The ground where my
perennial beds are is well shaded and fairly damp.
Thanks for the help!

Old 16-10-2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jennie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in zone 5 and was wondering if mulching beds this time of year
with the long pine needles that fall from my trees is beneficial, or
if it adds too much acidity to the soil. The ground where my
perennial beds are is well shaded and fairly damp.
Thanks for the help!

Pine needles are harvested and sold for exactly that purpose, there should
be no problem.

Old 17-10-2007, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Good question.

As far as the pH goes it depends on the species of plants you have. They
would be great for a pin oak.

Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

- -
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

oups.com...

Old 17-10-2007, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

I had read, years ago in a Master Gardener news letter (zone 8) that
mulching strawberries with pine needles intensified the flavor. I'd head to
the end of the block every year with my wheelbarrow and collect a big batch
from the one tree around to run through my chipper/shredder and mulched my
everbearing strawberry bed every fall. The first year I tried this I didn't
shred them up and they really didn't break down all that well. I honestly
think it did make a difference. I had the best strawberries in the
neighborhood. By the second summer they had developed a flavor almost like
the little wild strawberries. Just cutting them up in the kitchen would fill
the air with the aroma of strawberries. Wonderful!

Val