Old 18-10-2007, 12:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
someone someone is offline

Default identify greek oak

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"someone" wrote in message
A friend brough this back from Greece, never seen an acorn like it before.
Any ideas as to its identity?

someone

No, but it's not a good idea to import plant material from other countries
without control.

I had a look at the DEFRA website and apparently it is legal to import plant
material from other countries within the EU (e.g. bulbs, seeds, cuttings).
I understand that it is not so much things like cuttings or seeds but soil
which is the problem.

I once brought a tiny orchid clone back from Singapore in a bottle with a
sterile medium, and it had a phytosanitary certificate. I declared it at
Heathrow and it caused consternation because nobody at customs was sure what
to do with it or me. No-one at customs had ever seen a phytosanitary
certificate before, and in the end they decided to let me and my orchid
through.

someone