Old 14-10-2007, 08:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default identify greek oak

A friend brough this back from Greece, never seen an acorn like it before.
Any ideas as to its identity?

someone

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0059.JPG (346.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 14-10-2007, 11:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"someone" wrote:

A friend brough this back from Greece, never seen an acorn like it before.
Any ideas as to its identity?

someone

begin 666 DSCF0059.JPG
[Image]

end

Burr Oak.

We have them around here too. Hand-crafters like to use the bottom acorn
cover as miniature birds nests in decorations. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 15-10-2007, 06:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

There is a big beautiful Burr oak in someone's front yard in my
neighborhood. His acorns, including the base, are up to 2" across and
long. I've seen some of the bases up to 3" across.

Depends on the variety. :-)

In article ,
"Basketweaver" wrote:

Beautiful! What size are they? Omelet read my mind as I immediately
though they would be great used in wreaths, etc. Thanks, Pam

Old 15-10-2007, 10:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in message
A friend brough this back from Greece, never seen an acorn like it before.
Any ideas as to its identity?

someone

No, but it's not a good idea to import plant material from other countries
without control.

Mary

Old 15-10-2007, 09:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in message:
A friend brough this back from Greece, never seen an acorn like it before.
Any ideas as to its identity?

someone -----

They're valonia oak (Quercus macrolepsis) acorns, not burr oak.

MikeCT

Old 16-10-2007, 02:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"MikeCT" wrote:

"someone" wrote in message:
A friend brough this back from Greece, never seen an acorn like it before.
Any ideas as to its identity?

someone -----

They're valonia oak (Quercus macrolepsis) acorns, not burr oak.

MikeCT

Okay, I stand corrected, but you must admit they look very similar. :-)

Old 18-10-2007, 12:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in message
A friend brough this back from Greece, never seen an acorn like it before.
Any ideas as to its identity?

someone

Thanks to all of you for your interesting replies, I shall look up the oaks
you mention and tell my friend.

someone

Old 18-10-2007, 12:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"someone" wrote in message
A friend brough this back from Greece, never seen an acorn like it before.
Any ideas as to its identity?

someone

No, but it's not a good idea to import plant material from other countries
without control.

I had a look at the DEFRA website and apparently it is legal to import plant
material from other countries within the EU (e.g. bulbs, seeds, cuttings).
I understand that it is not so much things like cuttings or seeds but soil
which is the problem.

I once brought a tiny orchid clone back from Singapore in a bottle with a
sterile medium, and it had a phytosanitary certificate. I declared it at
Heathrow and it caused consternation because nobody at customs was sure what
to do with it or me. No-one at customs had ever seen a phytosanitary
certificate before, and in the end they decided to let me and my orchid
through.

someone