Old 19-10-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
MVD MVD is offline

Default Grass clipings, etc.

On Oct 18, 2:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"MVD" wrote in message

oups.com...

I live in northeastern Illinois. So if I was to put the bagger on my
lawn mower this time of year I would end up with a mix of grass
clippings and ground up leaves and twigs. I have some bare spots in a
few areas planted with small hostas and geraniums. Would it be
beneficial for me to collect the grass clippings/leaf mix and either
spread on top of or spade it into this bare areas? Usually I just set
the mower to "mulch" and just let the remnants lay where they fall,
but I thought this might be beneficial. Thanks for your advice.

That's great stuff for the purpose you mentioned. If the soil's loose
enough, you really don't have to spade it in. Use a straight rake to blend
it with the top 2-4" of soil.

The ground here is pretty heavy clay. So based on what you said I
think I'll try to spade it into the top 4-6" of soil.