Old 18-10-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
MVD MVD is offline

Default Grass clipings, etc.

I live in northeastern Illinois. So if I was to put the bagger on my
lawn mower this time of year I would end up with a mix of grass
clippings and ground up leaves and twigs. I have some bare spots in a
few areas planted with small hostas and geraniums. Would it be
beneficial for me to collect the grass clippings/leaf mix and either
spread on top of or spade it into this bare areas? Usually I just set
the mower to "mulch" and just let the remnants lay where they fall,
but I thought this might be beneficial. Thanks for your advice.

Old 18-10-2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"MVD" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in northeastern Illinois. So if I was to put the bagger on my
lawn mower this time of year I would end up with a mix of grass
clippings and ground up leaves and twigs. I have some bare spots in a
few areas planted with small hostas and geraniums. Would it be
beneficial for me to collect the grass clippings/leaf mix and either
spread on top of or spade it into this bare areas? Usually I just set
the mower to "mulch" and just let the remnants lay where they fall,
but I thought this might be beneficial. Thanks for your advice.

That's great stuff for the purpose you mentioned. If the soil's loose
enough, you really don't have to spade it in. Use a straight rake to blend
it with the top 2-4" of soil.

Old 19-10-2007, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

I do the same, and even collect grass/leave clippings from my neighbors.
However,
I put them into a mulch pile for one year. Putting the leaves/grass directly on
the
beds could be messy and there may be some issues of the mix pulling nitrogen
from
the ground as it decomposes.

Sherwin

Old 19-10-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
MVD MVD is offline

On Oct 18, 2:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"MVD" wrote in message

oups.com...

I live in northeastern Illinois. So if I was to put the bagger on my
lawn mower this time of year I would end up with a mix of grass
clippings and ground up leaves and twigs. I have some bare spots in a
few areas planted with small hostas and geraniums. Would it be
beneficial for me to collect the grass clippings/leaf mix and either
spread on top of or spade it into this bare areas? Usually I just set
the mower to "mulch" and just let the remnants lay where they fall,
but I thought this might be beneficial. Thanks for your advice.

That's great stuff for the purpose you mentioned. If the soil's loose
enough, you really don't have to spade it in. Use a straight rake to blend
it with the top 2-4" of soil.

The ground here is pretty heavy clay. So based on what you said I
think I'll try to spade it into the top 4-6" of soil.

Old 19-10-2007, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
MVD wrote:

On Oct 18, 2:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"MVD" wrote in message

oups.com...

I live in northeastern Illinois. So if I was to put the bagger on my
lawn mower this time of year I would end up with a mix of grass
clippings and ground up leaves and twigs. I have some bare spots in a
few areas planted with small hostas and geraniums. Would it be
beneficial for me to collect the grass clippings/leaf mix and either
spread on top of or spade it into this bare areas? Usually I just set
the mower to "mulch" and just let the remnants lay where they fall,
but I thought this might be beneficial. Thanks for your advice.

That's great stuff for the purpose you mentioned. If the soil's loose
enough, you really don't have to spade it in. Use a straight rake to blend
it with the top 2-4" of soil.

The ground here is pretty heavy clay. So based on what you said I
think I'll try to spade it into the top 4-6" of soil.

Look into adding sand.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 19-10-2007, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"MVD" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 18, 2:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"MVD" wrote in message

oups.com...

I live in northeastern Illinois. So if I was to put the bagger on my
lawn mower this time of year I would end up with a mix of grass
clippings and ground up leaves and twigs. I have some bare spots in a
few areas planted with small hostas and geraniums. Would it be
beneficial for me to collect the grass clippings/leaf mix and either
spread on top of or spade it into this bare areas? Usually I just set
the mower to "mulch" and just let the remnants lay where they fall,
but I thought this might be beneficial. Thanks for your advice.

That's great stuff for the purpose you mentioned. If the soil's loose
enough, you really don't have to spade it in. Use a straight rake to
blend
it with the top 2-4" of soil.

The ground here is pretty heavy clay. So based on what you said I
think I'll try to spade it into the top 4-6" of soil.

There's also something else that'll help with clay. Gypsum, I think, but
someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. A friend of mine used it and it
worked wonders.

Old 20-10-2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 19 Oct 2007 09:08:38 -0700, MVD wrote:

On Oct 18, 2:37 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"MVD" wrote in message

oups.com...

I live in northeastern Illinois. So if I was to put the bagger on my
lawn mower this time of year I would end up with a mix of grass
clippings and ground up leaves and twigs. I have some bare spots in a
few areas planted with small hostas and geraniums. Would it be
beneficial for me to collect the grass clippings/leaf mix and either
spread on top of or spade it into this bare areas? Usually I just set
the mower to "mulch" and just let the remnants lay where they fall,
but I thought this might be beneficial. Thanks for your advice.

That's great stuff for the purpose you mentioned. If the soil's loose
enough, you really don't have to spade it in. Use a straight rake to blend
it with the top 2-4" of soil.

The ground here is pretty heavy clay. So based on what you said I
think I'll try to spade it into the top 4-6" of soil.

Compost, tilled into the soil will help clay soil.