Old 20-10-2007, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314 Pavel314 is offline

Default Plant Cloner

My wife just bought a plant cloner, which looks like a picnic cooler with a
clear top. You place cuttings in a holder so that they're suspended in mid
air over the tank. Grow lights above and below a pump continuously sprays an
aerated nutrient enzyme broth on the bottom half of the cuttings, which
encourages them to root.

I'd like to use this on some cuttings from my vineyard and the quince tree.
(We're still debating the wisdom of propagating the medlar.) My question to
the group is whether or not the grapes and quinces need to go dormant for a
while before putting them into the cloner.

We've had a late summer here in Maryland, U.S.A., and all of the trees and
vines are still fully leafed. I have enough stock to try cuttings without
giving them a winter's rest but wonder which approach would work better.

Paul