Old 20-10-2007, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Plant Cloner

My wife just bought a plant cloner, which looks like a picnic cooler with a
clear top. You place cuttings in a holder so that they're suspended in mid
air over the tank. Grow lights above and below a pump continuously sprays an
aerated nutrient enzyme broth on the bottom half of the cuttings, which
encourages them to root.

I'd like to use this on some cuttings from my vineyard and the quince tree.
(We're still debating the wisdom of propagating the medlar.) My question to
the group is whether or not the grapes and quinces need to go dormant for a
while before putting them into the cloner.

We've had a late summer here in Maryland, U.S.A., and all of the trees and
vines are still fully leafed. I have enough stock to try cuttings without
giving them a winter's rest but wonder which approach would work better.

Paul

Old 21-10-2007, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pavel314" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Is your quince grafted? Are you aiming at propagating the root stock or the
graft tissue? What will you do with the clone assuming that it roots and
grows?

David

Old 21-10-2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Pavel314" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I don't know for sure if the quince is grafted or not; my wife planted it
here about 15 years before I met her. She thinks it is un-grafted, though.

I plan to porpagate cuttings taken from the branches of the trees or vines,
not the root stock.

If they root and grow, I'll pot them in potting soil and eventually put them
out in the orchard or vineyard.

Paul

Old 22-10-2007, 09:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pavel314" wrote in message news:uJWdnTNjov-

I don't know for sure if the quince is grafted or not; my wife planted it
here about 15 years before I met her. She thinks it is un-grafted, though.

If it is ungrafted and it's a good tree you should get another good tree.

I plan to porpagate cuttings taken from the branches of the trees or

vines,
not the root stock.

If it's grafted your top clone probably will not be as good as the grafted
"parent".

If they root and grow, I'll pot them in potting soil and eventually put

them
out in the orchard or vineyard.

Paul

Good luck.

David

Old 23-10-2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 19, 8:17 pm, "Pavel314" wrote:
My wife just bought a plant cloner, which looks like a picnic cooler with a
clear top. You place cuttings in a holder so that they're suspended in mid
air over the tank. Grow lights above and below a pump continuously sprays an
aerated nutrient enzyme broth on the bottom half of the cuttings, which
encourages them to root.

I'd like to use this on some cuttings from my vineyard and the quince tree.
(We're still debating the wisdom of propagating the medlar.) My question to
the group is whether or not the grapes and quinces need to go dormant for a
while before putting them into the cloner.

We've had a late summer here in Maryland, U.S.A., and all of the trees and
vines are still fully leafed. I have enough stock to try cuttings without
giving them a winter's rest but wonder which approach would work better.

Paul

Aerocloners work great with soft cuttings. If it's a woody cutting,
try
heeling it in outdoors in a sand-filled trench until spring. Wound
the
stem and heel in deep, leaving just the terminal bud uncovered.

Old 23-10-2007, 06:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:

"Pavel314" wrote in message news:uJWdnTNjov-

I don't know for sure if the quince is grafted or not; my wife planted it
here about 15 years before I met her. She thinks it is un-grafted, though.

If it is ungrafted and it's a good tree you should get another good tree.

I plan to porpagate cuttings taken from the branches of the trees or

vines,
not the root stock.

If it's grafted your top clone probably will not be as good as the grafted
"parent".

I have never worked with this kind of fruit tree propagation (cloning).
I didn't know it was possible to do with quinces. It probably would
not work for apples.

I'm curious why you are saying the top clone would not be as good as
the parent. Seems like the genes would duplicate over to the clone. The
size of the new tree would be a full standard, where as the original tree
was probably a dwarf. Is that what you meant by 'not as good'?

Sherwin

Old 23-10-2007, 11:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"sherwindu" wrote in message

If it's grafted your top clone probably will not be as good as the

grafted
"parent".

I have never worked with this kind of fruit tree propagation

(cloning).
I didn't know it was possible to do with quinces. It probably would
not work for apples.

Neither have I.

I'm curious why you are saying the top clone would not be as good as
the parent. Seems like the genes would duplicate over to the clone.

The
size of the new tree would be a full standard, where as the original

tree
was probably a dwarf. Is that what you meant by 'not as good'?

Sherwin

I meant that if the original was grafted the combination of root and graft
would be better than a clone of the graft without a different rootstock. If
the graft didn't do better with a different rootstock presumeably it
wouldn't have been grafted on to one, unless it was to dwarf it.

David

Old 28-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Registered User

I do not know for sure papaya grafting or not, my wife planted here about 15 years ago, I met her. She said it was the United Nations grafting, cuttings taken from branches though.I plan propagate trees or vines on, not stock. If they root and grow, I will pot of potting soil, and eventually put them out in the orchard or vineyard.
Waterfall Pumps

mini cloner gunner Edible Gardening 0 28-06-2009 08:34 AM
sweet--not scotch broom--to plant or not to plant? Lil Gardening 2 28-05-2003 06:44 AM
Full Plant Pics--was (What type of Plant is this can anyone tell from these pictures) Cowboy Gardening 4 04-03-2003 03:15 PM
Full Plant Pics--was (What type of Plant is this can anyone tell Tracey Gardening 0 04-03-2003 05:51 AM
how much plant is too much plant for fish at night? linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-02-2003 03:54 AM