Old 20-10-2007, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] robertharvey@my-deja.com is offline

Default Axe chopping block?

On 20 Oct, 12:12, "Hoodoo" wrote:
I'm chopping up firewood from 8"-12" rounds but I don't have a stump to chop
on, and all the rounds I have are cut at such weird angles that not of them
would suffice as a chopping block.
Is there a commercially available 'chopping block'?
Thanks for any help.

A chopping block has to do two things: hold the timber safely, and not
blunt the axe.

As A lad, I used to use the lawn if no suitable wooden base was
available. It's normally resilient enough to ensure the force goes
into the firewood, and does no more harm to the edge than a chopping
block will. 'course, it is a couple of feet lower.