Old 20-10-2007, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Axe chopping block?

Hello,

I'm chopping up firewood from 8"-12" rounds but I don't have a stump to chop
on, and all the rounds I have are cut at such weird angles that not of them
would suffice as a chopping block.
Is there a commercially available 'chopping block'?
Thanks for any help.

Old 20-10-2007, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Hoodoo" writes:

| I'm chopping up firewood from 8"-12" rounds but I don't have a stump to chop
| on, and all the rounds I have are cut at such weird angles that not of them
| would suffice as a chopping block.
| Is there a commercially available 'chopping block'?

If you have a local "tree surgeon" who removes sizable trees on a regular
basis, try negotiating with him.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-10-2007, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" | I'm chopping up firewood from 8"-12" rounds but I don't have a stump
to chop
| on, and all the rounds I have are cut at such weird angles that not of
them
| would suffice as a chopping block.
| Is there a commercially available 'chopping block'?

If you have a local "tree surgeon" who removes sizable trees on a regular
basis, try negotiating with him.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick, good idea!

Old 20-10-2007, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hoodoo" wrote in message
news
Hello,

I'm chopping up firewood from 8"-12" rounds but I don't have a stump to
chop on, and all the rounds I have are cut at such weird angles that not
of them would suffice as a chopping block.
Is there a commercially available 'chopping block'?
Thanks for any help.

Where abouts are you?

Dave

--
"Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is interesting. What they
conceal is vital. "

Old 20-10-2007, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:12:35 GMT, Hoodoo wrote:

all the rounds I have are cut at such weird angles that not of them
would suffice as a chopping block.

Any long enough to have the ends trimmed square with a bow saw?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 20-10-2007, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Oct, 12:12, "Hoodoo" wrote:
I'm chopping up firewood from 8"-12" rounds but I don't have a stump to chop
on, and all the rounds I have are cut at such weird angles that not of them
would suffice as a chopping block.
Is there a commercially available 'chopping block'?
Thanks for any help.

A chopping block has to do two things: hold the timber safely, and not
blunt the axe.

As A lad, I used to use the lawn if no suitable wooden base was
available. It's normally resilient enough to ensure the force goes
into the firewood, and does no more harm to the edge than a chopping
block will. 'course, it is a couple of feet lower.

Old 21-10-2007, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:12:35 GMT, Hoodoo wrote:

all the rounds I have are cut at such weird angles that not of them
would suffice as a chopping block.

Any long enough to have the ends trimmed square with a bow saw?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

That's a possibility but I'm still stumplesss!

Old 21-10-2007, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 20 Oct, 12:12, "Hoodoo" wrote:
I'm chopping up firewood from 8"-12" rounds but I don't have a stump to
chop
on, and all the rounds I have are cut at such weird angles that not of
them
would suffice as a chopping block.
Is there a commercially available 'chopping block'?
Thanks for any help.

A chopping block has to do two things: hold the timber safely, and not
blunt the axe.

As A lad, I used to use the lawn if no suitable wooden base was
available. It's normally resilient enough to ensure the force goes
into the firewood, and does no more harm to the edge than a chopping
block will. 'course, it is a couple of feet lower.

That couple of feet is a killer on my back! Thanks a lot for everyone's
comments.

Old 21-10-2007, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" I'm chopping up firewood from 8"-12" rounds but I don't have a stump to
chop on, and all the rounds I have are cut at such weird angles that not
of them would suffice as a chopping block.
Is there a commercially available 'chopping block'?
Thanks for any help.

Where abouts are you?

Dave

--
"Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is interesting. What they
conceal is vital. "

Berkhamsted in Hertfordshire.

Old 21-10-2007, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Hoodoo
writes

Berkhamsted in Hertfordshire.

I get my logs from Steve Pearce, think he's in The Lee.
01494 794695. He's really helpful .

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 24-10-2007, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have a Swedish Maul (sp?) It's brilliant as it splits the logs but
doesn't stick in the wood. For very big 'rounds' I use a grenade, you can
get them from agricultural merchants etc, it's a very heavy metal pyramid
shaped thing which you stick in the wood then wallop until it drives into
the centre of the wood and splits it. Very satisfying too, I may add!

janet