Old 20-02-2003, 11:39 PM

Default WOO HOO~

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:39:10 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Although hellebores do perfectly well without feeding, they flower
even better if you can give them a surface mulch of some well rotted
manure or leaf mould or home made compost which rots down to feed the
roots.

The other day I was in a garden centre where they had made a huge
tiered display of scores pots of hellebores all in flower; it was like
an altar to spring. Another woman and I just stood there drooling in
delight at the wonderful shades from greenish to white to pink and deep
purple, the spotted ones, the double ones....no two were alike.
Mmmmmmmm.

Janet.

Yes, I agree Janet. They can be really stunning flowers at this time
of year when there's a limited variety of other things blooming
(although living like you in Scotland, I also have a soft spot in
winter/ early spring for my fairly large collection of different
varieties and colour shades of flowering Erica carnea heathers in a
"heather bed" in my garden!)
Geoff