Old 19-02-2003, 06:51 PM
madgard

Default WOO HOO~

WOO HOO!!! I have HELLEBORE BUDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( kinda makes my hair raise up, ya know?)
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 6b, Sunset zone 36

Old 19-02-2003, 08:15 PM
paghat

In article , "madgard"
wrote:

WOO HOO!!! I have HELLEBORE BUDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( kinda makes my hair raise up, ya know?)
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 6b, Sunset zone 36

Three of my four already have big blooms, only the "Rose Madder" is "mere"
buds right now, though of course even the buds are gorgeous. I was not
always a fan of these but their behavior in the garden is just too
interesting. I'd some while back given three of the four webpages of their
own, but this week added a page for the fourth, "Heronswood Yellow":
http://www.paghat.com/helleboreyellow.html

I've already clipped off most of last year's leaves so they're all
presently are mainly just flowers & buds all by themselves, but new leaves
are fast arriving & they should all be nice & bushy again soon. I try to
save the old leaves as long as possible but they do slowly get homely &
need to go.

The newest thing blooming is the Iris reticulata -- suddenly today like
fast-magic the little buds are completely formed flowers. I'd planted the
bulblets on a rockery ledge to peak from behind a chunk of granite --
which the bulbs pushed off the ledge!

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 20-02-2003, 12:03 AM

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:43:26 -0500, "madgard"
wrote:

WOO HOO!!! I have HELLEBORE BUDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( kinda makes my hair raise up, ya know?)
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 6b, Sunset zone 36

What ..... that braid can go vertical??!!
The mind boggles!
(;-))
Best wishes
Geoff
Old 20-02-2003, 04:27 AM
madgard

that IS a spooky thought, Geoff!! LOL boy, can you imagine that sucker
standing straight up? it reaches the top of my jeans now loosely braided,
despite that it resembles a long rat tail........................hey, I have
fine hair, ok?? My hair rose up because all this time I was kavetching that
my Hellebore' weren't budding, and on the day my Aunt Pearline was lowered
into her dirt sleep, I discovered burgandy ones in the shade garden under
the black cherry tree, white ones forming in the NSSG, and if I were to poke
around the leaves in the western shady spot (I ran outa time) I bet there
are some there too! Do you think it would hurt to fertilize them? let me
know what you think.
maddie whose braid has settled down now..........GBSEG

Old 20-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Geoff" contains these words:

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:16:23 -0500, "madgard"
wrote:

My hair rose up because all this time I was kavetching that
my Hellebore' weren't budding, and on the day my Aunt Pearline was lowered
into her dirt sleep, I discovered burgandy ones in the shade garden under
the black cherry tree, white ones forming in the NSSG, and if I were
to poke
around the leaves in the western shady spot (I ran outa time) I bet there
are some there too! Do you think it would hurt to fertilize them? let me
know what you think.

Mine are also in a (north)western facing shady spot in a flower and
shrub bed that is close to a brick wall of the house and is somewhat
close to the canopy of a laburnum and two beech trees. There's H.
argutifolius, H. niger and probably a hybrid with white flowers with
spotted purple in the throat of the flower. Most are in single clumps
that are gradually establishing (started over the last 3 - 4 years)
mostly from single nursery-bought plants, but they are now all
flowering without fail each year. Argutifolius has been seeding
strongly over the last couple of years, and new babies from this are
springing up regularly nearby. I must confess that I have never
fertilized this soil, although it does get some deciduous leaf drop on
the bed each year. My plants look fine. Don't know if fertilizer will
help, but I'll bet the plants will establish well in their own time
and way without!

Although hellebores do perfectly well without feeding, they flower
even better if you can give them a surface mulch of some well rotted
manure or leaf mould or home made compost which rots down to feed the
roots.

The other day I was in a garden centre where they had made a huge
tiered display of scores pots of hellebores all in flower; it was like
an altar to spring. Another woman and I just stood there drooling in
delight at the wonderful shades from greenish to white to pink and deep
purple, the spotted ones, the double ones....no two were alike.
Mmmmmmmm.

Janet.

Old 20-02-2003, 11:39 PM

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:39:10 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Although hellebores do perfectly well without feeding, they flower
even better if you can give them a surface mulch of some well rotted
manure or leaf mould or home made compost which rots down to feed the
roots.

The other day I was in a garden centre where they had made a huge
tiered display of scores pots of hellebores all in flower; it was like
an altar to spring. Another woman and I just stood there drooling in
delight at the wonderful shades from greenish to white to pink and deep
purple, the spotted ones, the double ones....no two were alike.
Mmmmmmmm.

Janet.

Yes, I agree Janet. They can be really stunning flowers at this time
of year when there's a limited variety of other things blooming
(although living like you in Scotland, I also have a soft spot in
winter/ early spring for my fairly large collection of different
varieties and colour shades of flowering Erica carnea heathers in a
"heather bed" in my garden!)
Geoff

Old 21-02-2003, 06:40 AM
madgard

wrote:

[...]

DOUBLES?????????????????????? arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

maddie

Old 21-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Pam

wrote:

[...]

Oh yeah!.......I have a gorgeous smoky pink double flowering hellebore I got
from Heronswood last year - they call it their "Dancing Lady" strain. Incredible
flower and in full bloom right now. Give me a year or two and we'll see if it
sets seeds as well as the others and I may have some to share.

pam - gardengal

Old 21-02-2003, 10:51 PM
animaux

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:58:09 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 01:27:27 -0500, "madgard"
wrote:

I coulda had them for $20
each...............................there will be NO check if I don't stop
this NOW..........................................Easte rn Tennessee, zone 6b
Sunset zone 36

I knew this was going to happen. ;-) You're a prime candidate PAA
(Plant Acquisition Addiction) Maybe you, Pam and Victoria can start
your own therapy service. Then you'll all have even more money to
spend on plants. BSEG

zhan

Hey, I don't have that many plants so shhhhuuuttt up! When I sent in my list to
have the garden certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat, they guy laughed when I
sent the plant list. He actually called me to say I had more plants that whole
neighborhoods! I didn't tell Mark he said that.

Anyway, I grow a lot from seeds. So what is it, Mad, that you want? Maybe we
can get seeds and I can grow some in the greenhouse?

Old 22-02-2003, 02:51 PM
animaux

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 23:13:26 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

Of Cooooouurse you don't. Yesterday I made the rounds of plant
centers and garden shops. There were just to many I wanted. I'm
slipping back into my old ways. I've been very diligent about native
plants, etc. because we're renting and I didn't want to invest in all
the sand replacement. But I can't stand it any longer. I haven't
told Bill either. I've got two yards of compost coming tomorrow.

zhan

HA! Mark won his quarterly award at work for being, as they call it, "The cream
of the crop" at his company. With it comes 1500 dollars. I plan to buy a yard
or two of decomposed granite for my paths. He doesn't know yet!

Old 22-02-2003, 10:39 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Pam contains these words:

madgard wrote:

[...]

On the display stand there was a double which was a lovely creamy
yellow. I watched the other woman pick it up to look closer then put it
back, and had a turn myself; we rearranged a few others, picked out our
favourites and compared them, and didn't buy any :-). 8 UK pounds each,
ouch.

Janet

Old 25-02-2003, 11:53 PM
madgard

I knew this was going to happen. ;-) You're a prime candidate PAA
(Plant Acquisition Addiction) Maybe you, Pam and Victoria can start
your own therapy service. Then you'll all have even more money to
spend on plants. BSEG

zhan

Hey, I don't have that many plants so shhhhuuuttt up! When I sent in my

list to
have the garden certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat, they guy laughed when

sent the plant list. He actually called me to say I had more plants that

whole
neighborhoods! I didn't tell Mark he said that.

Anyway, I grow a lot from seeds. So what is it, Mad, that you want?

Maybe we
can get seeds and I can grow some in the greenhouse?

let me get out the Thompson and MOrgan seed
maddie

[IMG] code is On

WOO HOO!!!Spring is close........... madgardener Gardening 3 06-02-2004 12:42 AM
woo hoo! Heather Edible Gardening 1 28-10-2003 01:42 PM
WOO HOO Madgardener Gardening 2 25-09-2003 03:02 AM
woo-hoo! Tallahassee orchid show report! Prem Subrahmanyam Orchids 0 13-04-2003 12:32 AM
woo-hoo! Tallahassee orchid show report! Prem Subrahmanyam Gardening 0 13-04-2003 12:32 AM