Old 24-10-2007, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Help with weed infection please

Broadback wrote:
CWatters wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
I have a number of beds in a "wild" lawn, I wish to keep the lawn this
way as I love to see what wild plants grow. However my beds are
becoming infested with a weed that spreads through its root system. I
suspect that when I clean the beds any little bit of root grows and
develops into plants, anyway, if not, it certainly spreads in from the
surrounding grassed area. Firstly can someone identify it please from
these photos? I have attempted but failed. Hangs head in shame.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...back/Weed1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...back/Weed2.jpg

Secondly any suggestions for control? The only thing I can think of is
to edge the beds with a gravel path keeping that free from weeds with
weed killer, however maybe the roots would travel underneath the path.

A while back someone here mentioned a weedkiller for lawns called
Verdun. I
gave it a try on a creeping weed in our lawn and was very impressed. It
cleared the lot leaving the lawn unharmed.

Thanks for you help everyone. As a youngster we used to chew on, I
think, what you call Sheep's Sorrel Sacha, but I do not remember it
looking like this, it had a long stalk, sour to chew, with a flower head
on the end. Maybe that is because they don't get the chance to develop
that far in my beds!

Not certain but I am pretty sure that is is Sheep's Sorrel, I have had a
chew and it is not acidic, also it has those ears at the bottom of a
leaf the shape of a bishop's hat (forgotten the proper term). Off now to
casualty to get my stomach pumped! :-)