Old 25-10-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default My tomato is flowering .. =(

In article .com,
Ivan wrote:

This should be a cause to rejoice, however it's happening four days
after I transplanted the seedlings.
Yes, the plant has grown considerably, but should it be flowering
already?
I haven't added any fertilizer as yet, only growing with mushroom
compost and potting mix.
I also used weak seaweed fertilizer where I set the root balls to
stand for half an hour before transplanting.
I water daily with a drip system.

In Melbourne, Australia, we haven't been having such hot days as of
late, only way day got a bit warm, reaching 28 degrees.

Will this stunt the growth of the plant?
The type of tomato is called 'roma' tomato.

So, Melbourne would be something like the coast of California between
Los Angeles and San Francisco in late March. The ground is still fairly
cold and night time temps are about 50 F (10 C). Did you start the
tomatoes or were they purchased at a nursery? If they were purchased,
then I would suspect that the plants were forced to bloom in green
houses and not to worry about the fate of the first flowers. What you
probably need now is vegetative growth. If you grew the tomatoes from
seed, then just keep on doing what your doing.

This is early in the season for you. I'd suggest that you side dress
with aged manure and bone meal and then give seaweed fertilizer or fish
emulsion every 3 - 4 weeks until flowering begins. Then stop feeding and
cut back (not stop) on the watering.

Roma are mid-season tomatoes (great for sauces). Your larger ones are
probably late season and great for eating fresh.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley