Old 24-10-2007, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default My tomato is flowering .. =(

This should be a cause to rejoice, however it's happening four days
after I transplanted the seedlings.
Yes, the plant has grown considerably, but should it be flowering
already?
I haven't added any fertilizer as yet, only growing with mushroom
compost and potting mix.
I also used weak seaweed fertilizer where I set the root balls to
stand for half an hour before transplanting.
I water daily with a drip system.

In Melbourne, Australia, we haven't been having such hot days as of
late, only way day got a bit warm, reaching 28 degrees.

Will this stunt the growth of the plant?
The type of tomato is called 'roma' tomato.

Old 24-10-2007, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ivan wrote in
oups.com:

This should be a cause to rejoice, however it's happening
four days after I transplanted the seedlings.
Yes, the plant has grown considerably, but should it be
flowering already?

yes, it's fine. it's happy & the day length is such that it
wants to flower.

I haven't added any fertilizer as yet, only growing with
mushroom compost and potting mix.

then don't add fertilizer. fertilizer will make it grow more
leaves,, but it won't help make more fruit.

I also used weak seaweed fertilizer where I set the root
balls to stand for half an hour before transplanting.
I water daily with a drip system.

good. keep up with the drip irrigation.

In Melbourne, Australia, we haven't been having such hot
days as of late, only way day got a bit warm, reaching 28
degrees.

that's ok. too hot & the blossoms drop without setting fruit.
lee
Old 24-10-2007, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 24, 11:15 pm, enigma wrote:
Ivan wrote groups.com:

[...]

I was going to use the seaweed fert once a week.
Should I not do this now?
The 'roma' variety is the only one which is flowering. The rest are
growing but very slowly . Should I fertilize them?

Old 24-10-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ivan wrote in
oups.com:

I was going to use the seaweed fert once a week.
Should I not do this now?

what is the nitrogen ratio on it?
i put seaweed in/around the tomatoes when i plant them, then
don't fertilize again.
with the mushroom compost, i think you're probably set. over
fertilizing will get you lots of growth, & leaves, but few
blossoms.

The 'roma' variety is the only one which is flowering. The
rest are growing but very slowly . Should I fertilize them?

they've been in for only a week. patience is a virtue. wait a
few more weeks.
lee
Old 24-10-2007, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

The 'roma' variety is the only one which is flowering. The
rest are growing but very slowly . Should I fertilize them?

they've been in for only a week. patience is a virtue. wait a
few more weeks.
lee

Oh, I was actually pointing out the fact that it is flowering only
after a week -- I wasn't expecting it to for at least three weeks to a
month.
Perhaps this is normal .. The rest are beefsteaks and thus am assuming
will take a lot longer to mature.. Not sure what the NPK rate is, I
will check tonight when I get home and post it here..

Old 25-10-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
Ivan wrote:

This should be a cause to rejoice, however it's happening four days
after I transplanted the seedlings.
Yes, the plant has grown considerably, but should it be flowering
already?
I haven't added any fertilizer as yet, only growing with mushroom
compost and potting mix.
I also used weak seaweed fertilizer where I set the root balls to
stand for half an hour before transplanting.
I water daily with a drip system.

In Melbourne, Australia, we haven't been having such hot days as of
late, only way day got a bit warm, reaching 28 degrees.

Will this stunt the growth of the plant?
The type of tomato is called 'roma' tomato.

So, Melbourne would be something like the coast of California between
Los Angeles and San Francisco in late March. The ground is still fairly
cold and night time temps are about 50 F (10 C). Did you start the
tomatoes or were they purchased at a nursery? If they were purchased,
then I would suspect that the plants were forced to bloom in green
houses and not to worry about the fate of the first flowers. What you
probably need now is vegetative growth. If you grew the tomatoes from
seed, then just keep on doing what your doing.

This is early in the season for you. I'd suggest that you side dress
with aged manure and bone meal and then give seaweed fertilizer or fish
emulsion every 3 - 4 weeks until flowering begins. Then stop feeding and
cut back (not stop) on the watering.

Roma are mid-season tomatoes (great for sauces). Your larger ones are
probably late season and great for eating fresh.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 25-10-2007, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 25, 12:05 pm, Billy wrote:
In article .com,

Ivan wrote:
[...]

Not sure what to compare the temperature of Melbourne to the US, but
the temperature at night does reach the low 10s.
I will continue to do this (watering and feeding with liquid seaweed
fertilizer) for the next month or so as you are right, this is a bit
too early for anything to happen..
I bought seedlings from the nursery and I think they were a bit too
big when I got them, but unfortunately they were the last ones
there ..
Still, keeping my hopes up.
Next year I'll start from seeds and hopefully will have good
results ..

Should I expect these flowers to drop, and/or start wilting after some
time?
Will the flowering stop the plant from growing or promote fruit
growing?
I don't think the plant is strong enough to sustain the tomatoes
growing as yet. .

Old 25-10-2007, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article om,
Ivan wrote:

On Oct 25, 12:05 pm, Billy wrote:
In article .com,

Ivan wrote:
[...]

I extrapolated by latitudes as to the weather. I would expect that the
tomatoes will lose their flowers because of the coolness (maybe not) but
they should be setting fruit by late Dec. or January at the latest (but
you know how gardening goes, it's all weather dependent). If you are
using drip irrigation (a good thing, you might consider a timer to make
it even easier), cover your side dressing with a little dirt to help it
break down and penetrate to the roots.

Good luck, mate.