Old 25-10-2007, 10:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default should very young trees be allowed to flower?

"Andrew" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 9, 5:12 pm, "0tterbot" wrote:
hello!

i recall reading somewhere that very young trees expend a pointless
amount
of energy in flowering/fruiting, when they'd be better off just growing.

i have some little blueberries (only about 20cm high) which are flowering
(very cute ;-) & i feel inclined to take the flowers off this year &
maybe
next, just so they can spend their time getting bigger, instead of making
3
blueberries each for no advantage to anyone.

I usually remove blueberry flowers for the first year or two as a
matter of course. Can't comment on what will happen if you don't as
I've never tried it although most sources (US) suggest it will
significantly reduce growth. Given the current drought establishing a
plant quickly is probably more preferable to getting a small crop from
lack of patience.

thanks andrew. i finally got round to taking the little fruits off today.
the trees are going really, really well (compared to most trees we have
planted so far, some of which are still traumatised after 9 months) so i
don't want to put the mockers on them.

Keep it watered, give it rhody fertiliser

rhody fertiliser?

kylie

and allow
it to establish.