Old 28-10-2007, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lawn Dilemma

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 04:35:50 -0700, Stu Pidassle
wrote:

Hi,
Due to construction projects on two consecutive years, my lawn is a
complete disaster. Because I didn't want to start grass in the middle
of the summer, large portions of the lawn were left bare this year.
Of course these areas ended up infested with crab grass. I put some
seed down in mid September which seems to be doing fine. However,
there are several areas that need to be re-seeded.

Now for the dilemma part. Next spring I plan on putting down corn
gluten as a pre emergence weed killer/fertilizer to take care of the
crab grass. If I proceed with that strategy, I cannot reseed for a
couple of months which will leave me with poor grass coverage in many
areas.
My options as I understand them a

1. Seed again now - Boston area - and hope that we have enough time
for the seed to germinate before winter. If the seed doesn't germinate
will it be "close enough" next April for the corn gluten to have no
effect on the good grass seed?
2. Skip the corn gluten this year and reseed in the spring as planned.
3. Kill the crabgrass this spring and wait until next fall to reseed?

I should also mention that I have young kids and I will not be
willing use anything that is not environmentally friendly. Any advice
will be apprciated.

Thanks,
Stu

It could be too late to seed unless you think you've got 3 weeks of no
frost. You could heavily seed the most crab-grass problem areas, and
protect with straw. Next year apply the pre-emergence twice and
hand-pull any crabgrass, or at least prevent it from seeding.