Old 28-10-2007, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Broccoli-cabbage question feedback

Thought I would report back on the 'broccoli-cabbage' question I asked here
a week or so back.

I planted some 'broccoli' seed a workmate gave me. Some of it went fine,
some of it failed to head. After waiting a reasonable time I decided it
wasn't likely broccoli but maybe some form of cabbage. Some help here and
some googling led me to conculde it may have been a collard green or 'tree
cabbage'.

Anyhow, just to be safe I tried it out on the neighbours, warning them
beforehand that it may be a 'strange' cabbage. The verdict, whatever it was
"not much chop". The leaves were too bitter apparently. The remaining plants
have now become a temporary mulch waiting for a crop of sweet potato. The
sweet potato tubers I planted in that spot last weekend have all died. Maybe
karma for trying to poison the neighbour.

rob