Old 28-10-2007, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Broccoli-cabbage question feedback

Thought I would report back on the 'broccoli-cabbage' question I asked here
a week or so back.

I planted some 'broccoli' seed a workmate gave me. Some of it went fine,
some of it failed to head. After waiting a reasonable time I decided it
wasn't likely broccoli but maybe some form of cabbage. Some help here and
some googling led me to conculde it may have been a collard green or 'tree
cabbage'.

Anyhow, just to be safe I tried it out on the neighbours, warning them
beforehand that it may be a 'strange' cabbage. The verdict, whatever it was
"not much chop". The leaves were too bitter apparently. The remaining plants
have now become a temporary mulch waiting for a crop of sweet potato. The
sweet potato tubers I planted in that spot last weekend have all died. Maybe
karma for trying to poison the neighbour.

rob

Old 28-10-2007, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

Where are you? I understand that sweet potatoes in the UK should be planted
from rooted slips when the weather warms up in spring. The ones I tried this
year from T and M were a bit of a disappointment but I put that down to the
3 months of poor summer weather

Old 28-10-2007, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote after...
"George.com" wrote ...
[...]

NZ. Which is why the timings seem strange to us in the UK. George, can I
respectfully suggest a signature like mine to stop any confusion on behalf
of those reading your posts on URG.

I did my own "Slips" this year from the tubers I grew last year from the T &
M slips. Just laid the tubers down in a 2 inch layer of compost in the
greenhouse (min 50°F) and watered a bit, soon the shoots came up and tried
to root into the compost and could easily be pulled off with roots attached
and potted up ready for planting out end of May. Got so many I supplied the
whole site, well those that wanted some.
Haven't dug them up yet, bet the slugs have had a go, they usually do.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-10-2007, 06:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

the irony, here in New Zealand, is that I talked with the source of the seed
today. He assured me the seeds were indeed broccoli, not cabbage. He had
several that did not head properly either. The neighbours tucked into a
'nice' feed of broccoli leaves last week.

rob

Cabbage question (non heading variety) George.com United Kingdom 6 22-10-2007 03:44 AM
Broccoli question FDR Edible Gardening 2 06-07-2006 12:58 AM
Its getting pretty cold..Cabbage Question Farmer Joe Edible Gardening 2 30-11-2005 05:15 AM
Cabbage question Dwayne Edible Gardening 6 25-06-2005 05:25 PM
Broccoli Raab Question Compostman Gardening 2 23-05-2005 07:28 PM