Old 28-10-2007, 04:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default Nasty stuff

Hmmm? Ok, so if I purchase a bag of Orchid bark, how do I know if
there is any redwood bark in it? Do they state this on the bag or does one
have
to buy redwood bark separately?
Pat, I used to soak my bark overnight then sun dry it. There was always
sludgy red/brown
stuff at the bottom which I would throw away? I wonder if it was redwood?
Where do you get good bark these days?
Thanks for your input Pat,
Cheers Wendy
"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
g.com...
Wendy, at least here, most of the bark based orchid mixes use fir bark.
Pat
"Wendy7" wrote in message
Thanks for this Pat, what do I know, I thought all the bark was from
redwood pine trees?
Shall research Ray's site.
Cheers Wendy
"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
g.com...
Adding redwood chips/fibers to bark based mixes goes a long way to
stopping snow mold. If you follow Ray's recommendations and repot with
a mix containing 5 -10 % redwood you should not see the nasty again.

Pat

"Wendy7" wrote in message
My Oncidium Twinkle 'Red Fantasy' seemed to be struggling then I
noticed the
white
stuff through the clear plastic pot.
To be cont. . . . . . . . .